Cannot unpause Super Metroid

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Cannot unpause Super Metroid

Post by cooper.atkeson »

I downloaded a "Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc". Once I get through the entire opening (after the fight with Ripley, standing on my ship) I cannot unpause the game after I have paused it. This is the only problem I can see, though. By the way, I have a mac: Using SNES9x version 1.51 (85). Thank you for your consideration.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

File>Pause

Or if you want to use your keyboard, press:

Alt
F
P
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Not resolved yet...

Post by cooper.atkeson »

I'm sorry - a miscommunication. I can pause emulation fine. When I go to my map and status screens by pressing start...THAT'S when I can't return to gameplay.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

P.S.

Post by cooper.atkeson »

...regardless, I tried what you said to no avail. And I have a mac, just to make sure you caught that fact.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Strange... what's the color of all the text at the bottom of the screen when you load the ROM?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cooper.atkeson »

oops
Last edited by cooper.atkeson on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cooper.atkeson »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Strange... what's the color of all the text at the bottom of the screen when you load the ROM?
White.

I've also tried some different downloads and have the same problem each time. Some of those were yellow texts.
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

Make sure you did not change the default controller config of Super Metriod (the config in-game, not necessarily the emu's button mapping).
Continuing FF4 Research...
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cooper.atkeson »

Deathlike2 wrote:Make sure you did not change the default controller config of Super Metriod (the config in-game, not necessarily the emu's button mapping).
Returned in-game config to default and did not fix. Also tried starting a new in-game file without touching the in-game config at all and that didn't work either. Keep me posted.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cooper.atkeson »

I have also tried using the default emu config to no avail.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Need more consults!!!

Post by cooper.atkeson »

If I could ask some other experts to check this problem out as well (just to get some fresh eyes on the problem). I feel like the current people (no offense) may (possibly) be scraping the bottom of the bucket of their know how. Thank you.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc
I think that right there is your problem. A long long time ago, when Jerremy and Gary were still actively coding Snes9x, I had a bad checksum copy of Super Metroid. I forget what it affected, but at some point the reason for the bad checksum went from something ignorable to a show stopper during gameplay. I had to search out a good copy of the ROM in order to get things working right, and of course this meant starting over. The proper ROM should have a file name of "Super Metroid (U).zip" and when it loads it should report that the checksum is good.

Odds are this will fix your issue.
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

Although I dislike the GoodSNES naming convention, it is less known that the Super Metroid dump is the same for both Jap and US versions.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Still working on it...

Post by cooper.atkeson »

Ryan wrote:
Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc
I think that right there is your problem. A long long time ago, when Jerremy and Gary were still actively coding Snes9x, I had a bad checksum copy of Super Metroid. I forget what it affected, but at some point the reason for the bad checksum went from something ignorable to a show stopper during gameplay. I had to search out a good copy of the ROM in order to get things working right, and of course this meant starting over. The proper ROM should have a file name of "Super Metroid (U).zip" and when it loads it should report that the checksum is good.

Odds are this will fix your issue.
Used "Super Metroid (U) [!]", didn't work, bad checksum. My (JU) version, in white text said, "checksum OK" - both have the same problem.

Could you hook me up with the particular version of the ROM that you were referring to? One without the "[!]"?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Re: Still working on it...

Post by adventure_of_link »

cooper.atkeson wrote:Could you hook me up with the particular version of the ROM that you were referring to? One without the "[!]"?
not possible. that is against the rules.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cooper.atkeson »

adventure_of_link wrote:
cooper.atkeson wrote:Could you hook me up with the particular version of the ROM that you were referring to? One without the "[!]"?
What about a link to a website?
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

cooper.atkeson wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
What about a link to a website?
This forum is not meant to help others find the games, period.
cooper.atkeson
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cooper.atkeson »

I've digressed.

I used a "Super Metroid (U)", that is, one without the [!], and STILL HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! WHAT THE CRAP! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! NOTHING WORKS!!! I mean, I'm not ignorant (fairly smart I must say) so, even though I don't have an extensive knowledge of SNES9X, I haven't missed anything obvious.

I guess what I'm tryin' to say is that I still need help. Would anybody be able to solicit the advice of the creators/coders of SNES9X?
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Well, this is a toughy then. As far as I can tell, everyone has suggested what the problem could be. I presume the game runs fine when you start it up, IE the title music plays, and the demos of Samus doing things runs, and you can do all the gameplay stuff up until you're to take control of Samus, and then it pauses? Or does the game freeze upon loading?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

For the record (I'm not sure how much of the base code is shared between ports), I tried running a good ROM of super metroid in Snes9X v1.51 for windows, and it paused and unpaused just fine.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley