No Sound, PulseAudio setting crashes Snes9x

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Captain_Fwiffo
Snes9x White Belt

No Sound, PulseAudio setting crashes Snes9x

Post by Captain_Fwiffo »

Hi everyone,

I am running Lubuntu 18.04. I installed Snes9x with Flatpak. I run Snes9x using the following command:

sudo flatpak run com.snes9x.Snes9x/x86_64/stable

After that happens, I type in my password into the terminal. It starts to verify controllers, then says this

SDL sound driver initializing...
--> (Frequency: 32000hz, Latency: 8ms)...Failed

then launches. I think the volume is controlled by PulseAudio in Lubuntu, but when I set the audio driver to PulseAudio and apply the change, Snes9x crashes immediately.

I would appreciate any assistance, playing SNES games isn't quite the same without sound.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: No Sound, PulseAudio setting crashes Snes9x

Post by BearOso »

You shouldn’t be using sudo to run this. You should also try to use sound settings that are more sensible, like 44100 or 48000 Hz and a larger buffer size (8ms is way too low to achieve smooth sound).
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: No Sound, PulseAudio setting crashes Snes9x

Post by odditude »

BearOso wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:34 am You shouldn’t be using sudo to run this. You should also try to use sound settings that are more sensible, like 44100 or 48000 Hz and a larger buffer size (8ms is way too low to achieve smooth sound).
anything up to 16ms is below one display frame (at 60Hz for NTSC), so you there shouldn't be any additional audio latency if you keep it at or below that value.

(BearOso, please correct me if I'm wrong there.)