Layered Fading Effect?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
tp
Snes9x White Belt

Layered Fading Effect?

Post by tp »

Hi, I have question about something that I've noticed for a very long time and was wondering if it would be easy or complicated to fix. When using Snes9x compared to an original SNES or other emulators like BSnes, fading screens in games appear to have a sort of layered effect to them. Not sure how else to describe it. But it's definitely noticeable. Sometimes it can look like a grain effect depending on the content. I have two examples here from Donkey Kong Country 2. The title sequence and the end of Toxic Tower. If you can't already see the difference watching in regular speed, I recommend downloading the videos and frame stepping to really see it. Is this something that could be fixed? The videos were made using the Snes9x 1.60 and Bsnes Accuracy Libretro cores. Problem has existed in every version of Snes9x as far as I know. (Also just now noticed a graphical bug on frame 6 of the title sequence where the Nintendo flashes for a single frame?)
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: Layered Fading Effect?

Post by BearOso »

I believe what you’re seeing is the application of master brightness in the 16 bit color space as opposed to the 24 bit color space bsnes uses. On the actual hardware this is analog, so it’s impossibly smooth there. The Snes9x PPU is very hardcoded to use 16 bit colors, so this isn’t something that’s easy to change, and it would affect performance significantly as well.

I think I can fine tune it a bit so it’s not as noticeable.
tp
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Layered Fading Effect?

Post by tp »

Very interesting! Makes sense. That would be great if you could tweak it. I appreciate all the work you've done and looking into this for me. I'll keep checking back here for progress on this. Thanks.