prioritise 100% speed over fps

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
commendedfish
Snes9x White Belt

prioritise 100% speed over fps

Post by commendedfish »

Hello, I have a not so powerful computer (surface pro 6 i5 8gb). When I play snes games on it with snes9x it runs slow (I'm guessing about 70-80% speed). I don't care about fps that much so is there a way to maintain 100% speed all the time at the cost of lower fps? thanks.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Re: prioritise 100% speed over fps

Post by Ryan »

I believe enabling frame skipping, or allowing for greater frame skipping, will do what you request. If it gets bad though, it can start to look really choppy. I would think your system should be able to do that, it's much newer than mine (4th gen i5 in mine vs the 8th gen in yours) but I also have to concede that your system's base clock is only 1.6GHz while mine is 3.5GHz and that may have a bit to do with it. You *do* have a turbo clock of up to 3.4GHz which I would think would engage with Snes9x running, but it's possible you're on a power plan that tries to keep that down. May want to look into the Power Settings and see if it's using a custom profile rigged to keep the CPU at a lower power state.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

my 7-year old ultrabook with a i5-3317U (1.7 GHz normal / 2.4GHz turbo) can run snes9x with vsync at 60Hz on win10 with only the occasional frame jump (probably because it's re-syncing to 59Hz). my older desktop with an i5-2405s (2.50GHz normal / 3.30GHz turbo) ran happily at 59Hz without a hitch. your hardware is definitely powerful enough.

i'd say you're either throttling due to thermal issues or bad power management settings OR there's something (or things) eating resources in the background.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

Snes9x should only use a fraction of that CPU. Try deleting your snes9x.conf to see if it’s the Snes9x Settings. Otherwise something is wrong on your system.