A couple bugs related to the SA-1

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
imamelia
Snes9x White Belt

A couple bugs related to the SA-1

Post by imamelia »

I've been talking to an acquaintance who is working on patching the SA-1 into a game that doesn't normally use it, and he's noticed a couple bugs pop up in SNES9X. First, one bit of a certain register isn't emulated properly. I forgot which bit it was, but it makes it so you can't map 8 MB of ROM data to banks $00-$3F, $80-$BF, and $C0-$FF in that order (part of the $C0-$FF area, if I remember correctly, instead acts like a mirror of the $80-$BF area). Second, according to him, character conversion DMA only works for addresses that mirror $400000-$407FFF, not $408000-$41FFFF. He had to use a custom build of SNES9X to combat the first problem and work around the second by putting the CCDMA buffer in that first area. Will these bugs be fixed in the next version?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Re: A couple bugs related to the SA-1

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

If you're trying to program so that the code runs on the original hardware, try bsnes instead, as it focuses on emulation accuracy rather than system compatibility. :)
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
imamelia
Snes9x White Belt

Post by imamelia »

Oh, don't worry about that. I use bsnes primarily. The problem is that most people don't, and while I don't care enough about ZSNES and its myriad of emulation errors to worry about compatibility for it, SNES9X is at least decent enough that I'd kind of like stuff to work on it, unless it's something that just plain can't be done on SNES9X (without substantial increases in accuracy).

Also, clarification: according to him, $2220-$2223 are the registers in question. Bit 7 of them, I believe, is the offending one.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

We'll definitely take a look at it.

I he's already fixed it a pull request would make it a lot faster ;)