SNES SFC Controller Adapter

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Yoshis_Fan
Snes9x White Belt

SNES SFC Controller Adapter

Post by Yoshis_Fan »

Hi, everyone, I'm new to this forum and I registered because of a problem with my USB Controller Adapter (which seems more like a hardware problem than a problem with Snes9x.)
I've bought this product from Amazon: USB Adapter
The problem now is, that when I try to use it, it will totally freak out.
I can configure the controls without problems in Snes9x, but in the game it will autofire each button I'm holding down, and the d-pad as well, except the B-Button. The same problem occurrs in ZSNES, I've tried it there just to make sure it's not an Emulator-issue; I normally use Snes9x, that's why I'm posting it here.
When I try to calibrate it in Windows Vista (x86), it will take no button except for the B-Button. Un- and reinstalling the drivers changes nothing.
My suspicion is, that the USB Adapter has a problem with my controller. I own a PAL SNES with a PAL Controller, so the USB Adapter might only work for USA Controllers?
If that's the case I will need to buy one. The Controller itself works fine when used together with my original SNES; the controller is licensed by Nintendo, too, it's not some 3rd party stuff. I bought the Adapter for playing hacks with the original Controller.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Re: SNES SFC Controller Adapter

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

It may be a issue with the adapter, or perhaps some setting in Snes9x is telling all buttons to act as autofire... not sure where to go from here though.

Curiously, what version of Snes9x are you using? The latest is v1.53.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

the top review on the very page you linked to describes your problem and the probable cause.
Yoshis_Fan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Yoshis_Fan »

@Camo_Yoshi:
I'm still using 1.51 and the settings are fine. Neither autofire, nor U/P L/R allowance (even if the latter should actually be uninteresting)

@odditude:
Dang, you are right... I feel stupid now,XD The only thing I had to do was changing the controller slot... >_>
Since I'm not planning to multiplay, it's fine for me, I better mark the correct slot, so there won't be problems in the future, since I unplug the controller from time to time to play on my real SNES.
I'm writing this from a Win7 x64 Laptop, and currently have no access to my "real" computer, so I simply hope it's as easy as here. Calibration worked perfectly this time, too.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses, it's much appreciated!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

I would strongly recommend upgrading to version 1.53, as it fixed a lot bugs and emulation glitches from version 1.51.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!