Set memory values without keeping cheats active?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Zarggg
Snes9x White Belt

Set memory values without keeping cheats active?

Post by Zarggg »

This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find a sufficient answer searching around.

Is it possible to use the Cheat function to set a value in memory (similar to a POKE command), without keeping cheats active? To use a specific example, the amount of cat food you have in the game Chrono Trigger is stored at memory address 0x7e0200, with a one-byte value (i.e., 0-255 range). I can set a number while cheats are on, but when disabling the cheat, the value reflected in the game resets to zero (the default value).

To restate the question: Can I use the cheat functionality to somehow set this memory address to a desired value without having to keep cheats active, and allow the value in memory to operate as intended by the game's programming? If so, how would I go about doing this?
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: Set memory values without keeping cheats active?

Post by OV2 »

That's not possible - disabling cheats will restore the original value.
You can probably enable cheats, do a save state, disable cheats and then load the save state to circumvent this.