Problem with IPS files.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Siegfried.m
Snes9x White Belt

Problem with IPS files.

Post by Siegfried.m »

I've tried to patch a game in italian with an ips file, but don't work. I tried with Lunar IPS, SNESRomUtil, and try to rename the .ips file like the .smc file and put both in same folder, but nothing. Game don't run.
With Zsnes emulator, patched file work fine.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

The patch probably relies on incorrect emulator behavior. For more information, read Byuu's article on why accuracy matters.

http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

Chances are, if you made a modified SNES cartridge and put it in a real SNES, it still wouldn't work. Just use it with ZSNES.
Siegfried.m
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Siegfried.m »

ok, thanks. Shame...I prefer snes9x to zsnes... :(
Why snes9x has less accuracy than zsnes?
Tukuyomi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tukuyomi »

Siegfried.m wrote:Why snes9x has less accuracy than zsnes?
Actually, that's the reverse. Read the article, really, fun stuff in it :D
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

What Tukuyomi said is correct. ZSNES is very sloppy with its emulation; it takes shortcuts, and for that reason it runs faster - but it needs all sorts of timing hacks to play a lot of games. SNES9x has timing that's much closer to an actual SNES, and also tries to imitate how an SNES behaves in a lot of other ways.

People who make patches often use a particular emulator when making the patch; they don't bother making sure the methods they use will work on an actual SNES (partly because a lot of ROM hacking teams don't have flashcarts for the SNES). That often results in patches that only work for a certain emulator, because that emulator allows behavior that won't work on the actual system it's emulating.

And yeah, read the article. It explains that and more, in detail. It's a good read.
Siegfried.m
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Siegfried.m »

Yes, I read the article. The problem is that I don't like Zsnes, so maybe I play with the english ips patch file instead of italian :lol: