Found a major piece of the Snes9xGx error puzzle

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Found a major piece of the Snes9xGx error puzzle

Post by the_randomizer »

I know I created a similar thread about a month ago, but it would be advantageous to post an updated thread, if you will, which has more detailed information.

I'm pretty sure found a potentially serious problem. Obviously, when the emulator locks up, the Wii remote light is still on. So, I decided to test something I never tested before, re-sync the remotes by removing the batteries and pressing the red buttons. Well, what happened was the blue lights flash on/off (exactly like they do when the console is off and you press A or B). But the thing is, this happens after the emulator crashes but while the console is still powered on. That alone tells me there may indeed be a more serious issue than I originally assumed.

The fact this is happening is making me more than a little worried. Personally, it sounds like something is interfering with the wii remote/wii console bluetooth communication. Is Snes9xGx (or any GX emulator) completely dependent on having a constant bluetooth connection? Will they fail if that communication is severed? Perhaps I'm overreacting, and I really don't have the means of splurging to buy another Wii.

What I have tried to neutralizing this issue once and for all-

|===Emulator Settings===|
SRAM Load - On
SRAM Save - Off
Load Device - USB
Save Device* - SD
Load from SD alone - Success/No lockup
Load from HDD alone - Failure/Random lockup
Load from HDD and SD - Failure/Random lockup

Snes9xGx loading - Both HBC and Channel Forwarder

(* I originally thought that saving the SRAM to the HDD was causing the crash, so I placed the SD card in there)

Again, this is scaring the crap outta me.

When using a USB HDD+SDHC combination (one for ROMs, the other for saves) do BOTH devices need to each have "apps:snes9xgx" or the HDD have the ROMs and the others just have "SD:\snes9xgx\saves" or what?
Could this also be a contributing factor?

The fact that FceuGX, VbaGX and Genesis Plus GX all work fine is nothing short of being odd. Why this is putting me through such fiery hell if beyond me. I know it's just an emulator, but gimme a frikin' break here!
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Actually, the Wiimote behavior you're talking about is pretty common for homebrew apps. If the system crashes, it takes down the whole subsystem with it - it's not like the Xbox, where there's the dashboard running separately from the game. The Wii stupidly has the entire system taken over by whatever game you're playing at the time, so the dashboard has to be implemented by the games. That includes the software that deals with Wiimote syncing.

In short, when the system crashes, it takes the syncing abilities with it. Any remotes you try to sync with the Wii won't do so until you restart the system.

So I'm going to break down and see if I can reproduce this bug myself. Here's what I need to know:

What version of OS are you running? Have you been keeping up with official Nintendo system updates for the Wii?
What version of the HBC are you using?
Do you need to do any special formatting to the hard drive to get it to work, or will a USB stick work for testing?
...Could you test it with a USB stick and see if it still crashes?