How do I make snes9x stop hijacking my file associations?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
palidor2
Snes9x White Belt

How do I make snes9x stop hijacking my file associations?

Post by palidor2 »

It's kind of annoying.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Snes9x normally doesn't make any attempt to create file associations.

Could you please post the following:

Version of Snes9x are you using
Operating System
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Bedwyr
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Bedwyr »

I can confirm that on 1.5.3 running on Win 7 64 bit, a variety of file extensions are re-associated with the program every time Snes9x runs. They include the following:

.(null)
.a
.aus
.bin
.dx2
.eur
.fig
.gd3
.gd7
.gz
.jap
.mgd
.mgh
.sfc
.swc
.ufo
.usa

I tried downloading an older version, but the download page appears to be empty (no links).

The ones I have a problem with are .bin (binary), .fig (snes but also Matlab figure files so I keep it unassociated), and .gz (7zip should have control).
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Snes9x associates itself as a _possible_ handler for all extensions in Valid.ext. It never overwrites existing file associations. If the file extensions are associated with another program then nothing will change if you run snes9x.
You can remove extensions from Valid.ext (you seem to have an older version of the file), but that will also remove them from the open file dialog/the jump list in snes9x.
Bedwyr
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Bedwyr »

Thanks for the clarification.