About netplay in general

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
nikachi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by nikachi »

It might be better to replace KailleraClient with OpenKaillera.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/okai/
goebish
Snes9x White Belt

Post by goebish »

I just tried openkaillera but it is not like kaillera... I mean no server list, no centralized server... it's P2P, just like original snes9x netplay system.
Or maybe I missed something ?
Play Snes online with Snes9K !
http://goebish.free.fr/snes9k
goebish
Snes9x White Belt

Post by goebish »

Just saw some Open Kaillera screenshots on google image, looks like it can be compiled with original kaillera 0.9 support, I need to have a further look at it.
Of course if I can get it to work it will be better to integrate this one instead of the old one.
I'm at work now...have to wait until this evening to try :p
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

This would be very cool to have working. I've often wondered exactly what all netplay needed to work, from a technical end. I get that latency is a key issue, but beyond that I don't see the big deal. I'm guessing the netplay parts merely send key presses and durations, passing them to the emulator as if player 2 was also at the same machine. As long as latency didn't go above say 100 or 150ms, I can't see how that'd be too big a deal, it doesn't hurt play of games like TF2 or CS much if at all. it could just be my own ignorance of how things work though.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Ryan wrote:This would be very cool to have working. I've often wondered exactly what all netplay needed to work, from a technical end. I get that latency is a key issue, but beyond that I don't see the big deal. I'm guessing the netplay parts merely send key presses and durations, passing them to the emulator as if player 2 was also at the same machine. As long as latency didn't go above say 100 or 150ms, I can't see how that'd be too big a deal, it doesn't hurt play of games like TF2 or CS much if at all. it could just be my own ignorance of how things work though.
The issue you run across with the SNES is that a lot of how the game reacts to what's going on depends heavily on the precise timing of inputs. Luck manipulation in particular is an issue there; any game that incorporates player input into its randomization is going to desync the moment one person's computer thinks the timing is even slightly different from the other's. Enemy AI will react differently with slightly different positioning of the characters. The list goes on.

TF2 and CS are built from the ground up expecting those kinds of inconsistencies, so the methods to deal with them are built in; specifically, there's one computer that is the 'master' and everything really takes place on that server. All the clients connecting to it just make a 'best guess' on what's going on based on the information it gets from the master server. With the SNES, it has to be frame-perfect, every frame. It's possible, but not easy, and you entirely lose the 'best guess' capability of netplay-based engines.
nikachi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by nikachi »

>goebish
I'm sorry. It was my insufficient explanation.
There is an upper compatibility version of kaillera 0.9 "Open Kaillera - kaillera 0.9 compatible" though it already seems to have understood.
goebish
Snes9x White Belt

Post by goebish »

Ok nikachi, I found the compiled dll yesterday, and it works !
Let me one or two weeks to polish it and I'll release it.
nikachi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by nikachi »

I am looking forward to the release, wish you good luck!
I use Internet translation, some sentences may be funny.
WormJim
Snes9x White Belt

Post by WormJim »

goebish wrote:Ok nikachi, I found the compiled dll yesterday, and it works !
Let me one or two weeks to polish it and I'll release it.
Greetings!
You just can not imagine how many are waiting to play on kaillera))
Is there any news or details of the work on the new version?
Good luck!
Gew
Snes9x White Belt

Re: About netplay in general

Post by Gew »

Thought I'd bring this topic up, since net play is my main concern with Snes9x. I've tried it, but I'm getting heavy lag, even when I'm not playing over the Internet but in the very same LAN area. I'm talking about games like Donkey Kong and Super Mario World here. Is this a known problem? Is playing through KailleraClient (or OpenKaillera) less lagged? Also, is there any differences in the net play part of v1.52 and v1.53? I'm running the former (didn't know about v1.53 till minutes ago when I stumbled onto this forum), and didn't notice anything about net play mentioned in the change log.

Thoughts?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Re: About netplay in general

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yes, sadly playing online and lag are known issues... your best bet is to play it on a LAN instead.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley