SNES9x EX random crashes on Evo 3D

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
drspanklebum
Snes9x White Belt

SNES9x EX random crashes on Evo 3D

Post by drspanklebum »

Hey all,

I'm running rooted Android 2.3.3 on my Evo 3d, and I've been playing Final Fantasy III on v. 1.4.2-armv7, and I get random crashes all the time. It's not a huge inconvenience as I'm conditioned to save state every couple minutes, so I never lose a lot, but it is pretty annoying.

Not sure what the problem is; wondering if anyone else can reproduce the issue...
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

now that you mention it, snes9x ex does this on my EVO 3D, regardless of game...

problem is, its always random and/or intermittent, so i never could pin it down.. be glad you get to resume from where you left off - when it does it to me I lose most everything, despite using an in-game save!

that's the problem with intermittent problems: they come and go as they please. don't ask how i know this... :evil:

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

Hmm, have you checked the Android log to see if it's a segfault or something else? I can't get it to crash on my Droid or Xoom. If anyone with an EVO 3D has GDB set up I can post an APK with debug symbols to find the exact spot it's crashing at.

Saw your other message about Super Scope support. I'll definitely be improving the control method and making the buttons mappable in the future.
adventure_of_link

Rakashazi wrote:Hmm, have you checked the Android log to see if it's a segfault or something else? I can't get it to crash on my Droid or Xoom. If anyone with an EVO 3D has GDB set up I can post an APK with debug symbols to find the exact spot it's crashing at.
uh.... what? :? what is GDB? and where, exactly, is this android log? (keep in mind I'm sorta-kinda new to this Android thing despite having mine rooted :P)
Rakashazi wrote:Saw your other message about Super Scope support. I'll definitely be improving the control method and making the buttons mappable in the future.
thank you sir. :)

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

drspanklebum
Snes9x White Belt

Solution

Post by drspanklebum »

Just wanted to say I found a solution for the issue - it seems the processor was getting overloaded, causing the crash. If there's any way to make the emulator less taxing on the system, I would love to know about it..

I just installed Virus' Airborne ROM and have the processor overclocked w/SetCPU on a performance governor. Haven't had a problem w/ crashing since. Raeps on my battery, but that's the price we pay for awesomeness I suppose...

:roll: :roll: :lol:
adventure_of_link

Re: Solution

drspanklebum wrote:Just wanted to say I found a solution for the issue - it seems the processor was getting overloaded, causing the crash. If there's any way to make the emulator less taxing on the system, I would love to know about it..

I just installed Virus' Airborne ROM and have the processor overclocked w/SetCPU on a performance governor. Haven't had a problem w/ crashing since. Raeps on my battery, but that's the price we pay for awesomeness I suppose...

:roll: :roll: :lol:
if you've got $80 laying around, there is a 4,000mAh battery for the EVO 3D.. also, let me know if Virus' Airborne ROM supports the wii remotes and PS3 controllers :)

weird that a DUAL CORE processor would get so easily overloaded.. :? oh well.

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Re: Solution

Post by Rakashazi »

adventure_of_link wrote:what is GDB? and where, exactly, is this android log?
It's the GNU Debugger, if anyone has an EVO 3D and the Android NDK already set up let me know. The Android log is a bit easier to get at, you'll have to install an app like aLogcat from the Market and email me your log directly after the crash occurs.
drspanklebum wrote:Just wanted to say I found a solution for the issue - it seems the processor was getting overloaded, causing the crash. If there's any way to make the emulator less taxing on the system, I would love to know about it..
That sounds quite strange if it's the real cause of the crash, though I wouldn't be surprised considering HTC's track record with their Android drivers. Did you guys try it with GPU Sync Hack turned on in the options? The app should only use as much CPU power as it needs and sleep until the next screen update so it's most likely something going wrong in the OS.
adventure_of_link

Rakashazi:

so far I haven't had a random Snes9X EX crash using the GPU Sync thing (and when I thought I had one it wasn't, I can tell since I was able to start immediately after beating Viscount in metal combat, rather than back at the start)..

also: could you put NSRT ROM Header support into Snes9X EX? It's getting kinda annoying having to select the super scope every time I wanna play metal combat or something. :P

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)