Snes9x 1.53 crashes the moment I open it

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
TsukiyoX
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x 1.53 crashes the moment I open it

Post by TsukiyoX »

Hey guys. I decided to play some snes9x 1.51 tonight until I found out the games freeze all the time. It'll literally start in the first second of the whole software (which is a black screen). I confirmed this by fast-forwarding the game and it fast forwards, but when I let go, it stops on a still image. Obviously no sound. It crashes when I exit.

After finding out 1.53 has been released, I downloaded it. Everytime it opens, it simply crashes and doesn't respond. I made the folder by hand by naming it "snes9x 1.53 32x". I'm sure the name doesn't matter, right?

I even tried getting another 1.51, but it's the same problem as the first paragraph.

I have Windows Vista 32 bit Ultimate edition
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00 GHz
4GB ram

I'll really appreciate your help.

Edit! None of my PC games are working! They just freeze or crash the moment they start.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Snes9x 1.53 crashes the moment I open it

Post by odditude »

normally I'd just say you've got a bad/corrupt ROM, but given that multiple apps are failing...

back up your data, check with your laptop manufacturer for latest drivers, and scan for malware. if you recently installed any apps since the last time things worked properly, uninstall them.

if the above don't resolve the problem, you can assume either the OS is compromised or you have a hardware issue. simplest way to resolve the former is to do a clean load of the OS (or full recovery if the manufacturer provided recovery media).
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Yeah, copy all your data to a different location, grab a recovery CD, etc. Also, don't use Vista anymore, upgrade to 7.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Also, don't use Vista anymore, upgrade to 7.
i see little reason to upgrade from vista to 7. with sp2 and the platform update, there aren't any significant differences to the end user outside of homegroup support and jump lists.
TsukiyoX
Snes9x White Belt

Post by TsukiyoX »

Made a mistake. I got Windows 7 Ultimate edition. Really, Vista and 7 don't feel that different to me.

Before I restarted the computer and the problem persisted. I shut it down and called it a night. Just this moment, it seemed to work again. Thanks a lot, guys.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

7 has much better drivers and has lots of bug fixes.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:7 has much better drivers and has lots of bug fixes.
7 and Vista use the same drivers for most devices (you can check AMD and Nvidia's driver pages for evidence). Device Stage is convenient in some cases, but hardly a killer feature. As for bug fixes, SP1 took care of most of them years ago.

If you're running Vista, there's really no compelling reason to spend the money on 7 unless you've got enough machines to buy the family pack upgrade. If you're still running XP, though, and have suitable hardware...

7's biggest thing going for it is it doesn't have the tarnish that Vista quickly acquired due to the abysmal Nvidia driver situation at launch, overactive UAC prompts, and the deal with Intel that allowed systems using 945G graphics to be marketed as "Vista Ready." Most of the kinks had been ironed out by the time SP1 shipped, but by them the (then deserved) damage to its reputation had been done. Remember, Vista (6.0) and 7 (6.1) are similar enough that the server versions are 2008 and 2008 R2.

For the record, I ran Vista on my primary machine for two and a half years, and moved to 7 when I replaced that machine. The biggest difference I see in regular, heavy usage is the additional keyboard shortcuts (like win+up/down/left/right; win-up is much simpler than alt+space,x/n, and there was no keyboard equivalent for win+left/right at all).

I also accept that you're probably not going to agree with me, and that's fine :D
TsukiyoX
Snes9x White Belt

Post by TsukiyoX »

odditude wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:7 has much better drivers and has lots of bug fixes.
7 and Vista use the same drivers for most devices (you can check AMD and Nvidia's driver pages for evidence). Device Stage is convenient in some cases, but hardly a killer feature. As for bug fixes, SP1 took care of most of them years ago.

If you're running Vista, there's really no compelling reason to spend the money on 7 unless you've got enough machines to buy the family pack upgrade. If you're still running XP, though, and have suitable hardware...

7's biggest thing going for it is it doesn't have the tarnish that Vista quickly acquired due to the abysmal Nvidia driver situation at launch, overactive UAC prompts, and the deal with Intel that allowed systems using 945G graphics to be marketed as "Vista Ready." Most of the kinks had been ironed out by the time SP1 shipped, but by them the (then deserved) damage to its reputation had been done. Remember, Vista (6.0) and 7 (6.1) are similar enough that the server versions are 2008 and 2008 R2.

For the record, I ran Vista on my primary machine for two and a half years, and moved to 7 when I replaced that machine. The biggest difference I see in regular, heavy usage is the additional keyboard shortcuts (like win+up/down/left/right; win-up is much simpler than alt+space,x/n, and there was no keyboard equivalent for win+left/right at all).

I also accept that you're probably not going to agree with me, and that's fine :D
I agree with you. It does look nicer though.