[SUGGESTION/BUG] Rom does not load correctly

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Team Fail
Snes9x White Belt

[SUGGESTION/BUG] Rom does not load correctly

Post by Team Fail »

I am using a not-too-common rom that has an abnormal filesize. I have read that the size of the rom is to blame for this error, because "Most emulators mirror the rom to fill in the missing data" and therefore completely skews the emulation of this rom. I'd link you to the rom in question, but I'll wait for permission to link to it because I can only find one link anywhere in the internet. Here is a screenshot of the rom when it is loaded:
I was wondering if I could get support for the SNES Burn-In/Test rom, or at least allow for custom mapping. I did some research into this already, and it seems that only Bsnes can emulate this, but with an xml file containing

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cartridge region="NTSC">
<rom>
<map mode="linear" address="00-03:8000-ffff"/>
<map mode="linear" address="06:d800-d9ff" offset="035800"/>
<map mode="linear" address="0c:8000-bfff" offset="060000"/>
<map mode="linear" address="06:da00-dcff" offset="035a00"/>
<map mode="linear" address="0d:c000-c7ff" offset="06c000"/>
</rom>
</cartridge>

...And it doesn't seem to work with this XML anymore.

Can I have some form of fix for this rare game? I'd like to see this work so when it is ported to the Wii, it will emulate correctly on the Wii as well.
Last edited by Team Fail on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Fail
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Team Fail »

I don't see that anyone has found a solution for this as of yet. Has it been implemented in the latest version yet?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Send me a PM with a link to the ROM, so I can see first hand...
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

And you say this a game? I'm kind of doubting it (the smallest commercial ROM released was 512KB), NSRT says it doesn't even look remotely like some sort of game ROM at all, and Snes9x loads it with yellow text. (meaning it's CRC is bad.)

Quite frankly, I don't think this is a actual game ROM. What game is it supposed to be?

EDIT: Actually, it's a corrupt copy of the SNES Test Cartridge. Perhaps Japanese, or a fake/pirate/bootleg test cart, because the sound test says:

SHVC & SNS SOUND MODULE TEST

Start
Wait 12 Sec

I have the official test cart from Nintendo (U reigon), and I don't recall the test cart saying anything like that during sound test or any tests for that matter.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
Team Fail
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Team Fail »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:And you say this a game? I'm kind of doubting it (the smallest commercial ROM released was 512KB), NSRT says it doesn't even look remotely like some sort of game ROM at all, and Snes9x loads it with yellow text. (meaning it's CRC is bad.)

Quite frankly, I don't think this is a actual game ROM. What game is it supposed to be?

EDIT: Actually, it's a corrupt copy of the SNES Test Cartridge. Perhaps Japanese, or a fake/pirate/bootleg test cart, because the sound test says:

Start
Wait 12 Sec

I have the official test cart from Nintendo (U reigon), and I don't recall the test cart saying anything like that during sound test or any tests for that matter.
It is. I had it work one time with BSNES's custom memory mapping, but for some reason, that feature broke in a newer release. It did work correctly though. And I used the same rom from that said link.

Just gimme a sec. There is a youtube video with this rom in it's legit card form that shows the whole rom.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVNIi9orEzU
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

Current snes9x's memory mapping system cannot deal with this kind of mappings.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Team Fail wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:And you say this a game? I'm kind of doubting it (the smallest commercial ROM released was 512KB), NSRT says it doesn't even look remotely like some sort of game ROM at all, and Snes9x loads it with yellow text. (meaning it's CRC is bad.)

Start
Wait 12 Sec

It is. I had it work one time with BSNES's custom memory mapping, but for some reason, that feature broke in a newer release. It did work correctly though. And I used the same rom from that said link.

Just gimme a sec. There is a youtube video with this rom in it's legit card form that shows the whole rom.

Ah, interesting. Either way, I don't think that's a good dump of the ROM. Here's the SNES Test Cart I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACilUDXj ... re=related
Team Fail
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Team Fail »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:
Team Fail wrote:

Start
Wait 12 Sec

Ah, interesting. Either way, I don't think that's a good dump of the ROM. Here's the SNES Test Cart I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACilUDXj ... re=related
I've seen that one, but I prefer this one, but if it can't be fixed, then I guess this little game has no hope.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

I hope you're using the term "game" loosely, lol.
Team Fail
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Team Fail »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:I hope you're using the term "game" loosely, lol.
Rather loosely, yes.