2011, quad core, 6gb of ram and games running slow?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
andrewe1
Snes9x White Belt

2011, quad core, 6gb of ram and games running slow?

Post by andrewe1 »

Hello,

I've been a long time snes9x user...well I stopped for a while but since 99-00 It was always my emulator of choice.

I recently built myself a mame cabinet and decided to stick a SNES emulator in there, of course I resorted to snes9x.

Problem is, games aren't running smoothly... Side scrollers like SMW/DKC "stutter" if im sprinting sideways.

Starfox runs.......well.....it runs....really slowly, almost unplayable.

The specs on my mame cabinet are not that great but still decent, its a core i3 with 4gb of ram and windows 7 64 bit.

At first I thought it was the system not being able to keep up with the games, which boggles my mind since I remember my old pentium 2 computer being able to run games perfectly....including starfox.

So I ran snes9x on my main desktop, core i7, 6gb of ram and a radeon 5870 and to my suprise the games run virtually identical.

I have already tried a bunch of settings (directdraw, opengl, direct3d) and I'm still having problems.

So any help? Can't believe im struggling with a SNES emulator lol, like I said... I used to run the games perfectly.......10 years ago.

Cheers :)
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Snes9x isn't that good at emulating SuperFX, we still need to optimize this code for SFX emulation.

In the mean time, may I recommend either bsnes or UOSNES for SuperFX emulation?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

For side-scrollers, you might be able to fix the stuttering by turning on VSync.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

At least Snes9x can emulate SuperFX games at their proper speed (unlike Zsnes).
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Well, for user-end-performance, it's better to have a smooth framerate than it is the be accurate, really. :P
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!