dumb-ish question about graphics

Need a hint? Got a code or strategy? Share it all here!
niloklives
Snes9x White Belt

dumb-ish question about graphics

Post by niloklives »

I couldn't find this in the forms vis search so forgive me if I missed it somehow. But here it is:

I just switched to a PC from an 8 y/o mac. I always had it set to super2xsai for image processing cause it seemed to look smoothest and my only real option was open GL. sadly open GL doesn't seem to be an option anymore and I'm just not sure what to pick for graphicss since there seem to be way more choices in the windows version of SNES9X.

in this day and age, speed shouldn't be a factor anymore, but if it is, I have an i7 2600k cpu and a GTX 560ti...super overkill for this. So what're my optimal settings for visual effects?

While I'm at it, is there a way to get the games to play in widescreen while in full screen mode? maybe I'm just overlooking something simple.

Thanks a bunch, guys and gals.
Clements
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by Clements »

Stick with the Direct3D renderer.

To stretch the image to widescreen, uncheck Maintain Aspect Ratio and check Stretch Image.
natsumerio
Snes9x White Belt

Post by natsumerio »

Actually, this is the smartest question that I have seen about the snes9x's graphics. I have been using the latest bug-free version of it for windows systems (I'm assuming that you have a windows OS & not linux), & I have tested everything regarding getting the best graphics out of it. Below are my recommendations.

All of the options listed here are either CHECK-BOX options or menu selections.
-----
WINDOW.

Hide menubar. (You can toggle this on or off by pressing the "escape" key.)
Full screen.
Stretch image. (In my experience, this does not affect the aspect ratio.)
Maintain aspect ratio. (Clear this if you want the screen to look wide-screen, but keep in mind that the snes's correct aspect ratio is NOT wide-screen.)
-----
GENERAL.

Full screen.
Stretch image. (See above.)
Maintain aspect ratio. (See above.)
-----
SNES IMAGE.

Transparency.
Hi-res.
-----
FULLSCREEN DISPLAY SETTINGS.

Whatever your display's resolution is.
-----
OUTPUT IMAGE PROCESSING.

hq3xBoLd (THE BEST ONE FOR SMOOTH EDGES & TEXTURES.)
Simple 2X (THE BEST ONE FOR PIXELATED EDGES & TEXTURES.)
-----
Do NOT use bi-linear filtering or "Stretch with video card".

This version of snes9x is the absolute best version that there is (even better than the 1.52 versions). I strongly recommend using this version instead of any other version.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yzmmitewfyy
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Is that a WIP version or something?
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

It's 1.51 with D3D support.
niloklives
Snes9x White Belt

Post by niloklives »

Thanks for the input, Natsumerio. that's exactly what I was looking for. That version of SNES9X you linked me to is great as well, i resorted to using 1.51 before because I needed the netplay features and 1.52 wasn't able to keep up. this is perfect. I get a better picture and sound than I did in 1.51 but with the same quality of netplay.