Saving issues on Legend Of Zelda

Need a hint? Got a code or strategy? Share it all here!
jrnieves86
Snes9x White Belt

Saving issues on Legend Of Zelda

Post by jrnieves86 »

i'm new to this emulator. Im playing Zelda a Link to the past; im trying to save it using Shift + F1 through F9 but when i restart the emulator....no file exist.... what can i do? :x
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You're creating save states and not save files. Save states let you save anywhere in the game, but you must load them manually every time you load the game.

If you want to actually have saves appear on the menu, you need to save in-game just like you would in a real console.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Also note the differences-when you save in-game, you load it just the way you would on the console, with whatever good/bad effects come from that method. When you use save states, you save your progress instantly, and upon loading, will reappear right where you were instantly. This is useful when you must quit suddenly, or want to save within a dungeon without losing all your hark work at solving puzzles. Also be warned that save states also keep the data of your in-game saves, so if you wish to reply on both, save in-game before making a save state. that way, when you reload the save state, it also contains your latest in-game save. if you do it in reverse, you stand to lose much progress.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

Post by TheFearInsideYou7X »

I've also had problems with a Link to the Past. I know this may seem like a stupid situation, but I don't know how to save in-game. Every other key works, it's just that I can't figure out which key equates to the 'select' button (and I've tried every key).

I'm on a MacBook, by the way.
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

I get the feeling this is covered in Snes9x's Mac Ports Help section. You should find out how to map the controller buttons keys on your keyboard.
Continuing FF4 Research...
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

I figured out what key is 'select,' and it works fine on other games, but for some reason it doesn't work on A Link to the Past, which is troubling to say the least.

Could the rom be screwed-up? 'Cause everything else is working fine with it.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

TheFearInsideYou7X wrote:I figured out what key is 'select,' and it works fine on other games, but for some reason it doesn't work on A Link to the Past, which is troubling to say the least.

Could the rom be screwed-up? 'Cause everything else is working fine with it.
Use NSRT to verify if the ROM has a good checksum.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

Camo_Yoshi wrote: Use NSRT to verify if the ROM has a good checksum.
I'm sorry, but I'm new to all this, and I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. :?

EDIT: I managed to get NSRT on my system, I just don't know how to check/fix my LttP rom.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

OK, In NSRT, go to the folder where the ROM is, and double-click on it.
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

Camo_Yoshi wrote:OK, In NSRT, go to the folder where the ROM is, and double-click on it.
It won't allow me to open the rom; it gives me a command line that tells me a bunch of commands that allows me to access various things, but I can't type anything.

EDIT: I found the rom file, but it gives me an error; "please make sure the path to NSRT is set properly"
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You need to use nf.exe, it has a GUI.
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

I can't seem to find the .exe you're talking about, but according to the rom the checksum is good, so id. :oops:
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You mean according to Snes9x?
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

Camo_Yoshi wrote:You mean according to Snes9x?
Yeah when I boot the rom it says 'checksum is good'
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

But you still can't save?
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

Camo_Yoshi wrote:But you still can't save?
I can do the "freeze quick-save" thing, but I can't bring up the in-game save menu that appears when you press select.

I've tried every rom I could find, and they all do the same thing. :?

EDIT: For some reason the select button works now...I have no idea why but it does.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Are you using a controller or the keyboard? :?
TheFearInsideYou7X
Snes9x White Belt

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Are you using a controller or the keyboard? :?
I'm using the keyboard on my laptop. I don't know why it works it just does now.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Ok, run LoZ: LttP and you should be able to save by pressing "Select" and choosing "Save and Quit".

Now, go into the folder where snes9x.exe is located.
There should be folder named "saves". Open it.
Look for the name of the LoZ rom, but the file should have a ".srm" extension.
leilew
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Saving issues on Legend Of Zelda

Post by leilew »

Sorry for digging up a super old old post but I also can't get this game to work.

I played it about halfway through and both the in game save function (natural save) was working. Then I both beat a dungeon and saved the natural way and I also created the "save" file in SNES as a backup. I just tried to open this game a couple days later and it has reverted back to the beginning of the game both in the "in game" save and the save file. Why? There is only one save file in the "save" folder. Has anyone had any luck at all or should I just give up on this game since it's not functional apparently with an emulator. I don't want to dump any more days into a game that will randomly dump any save progress.