iCade/8bitty Support or Hijacking Button Behavior

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
cknoblet
Snes9x White Belt

iCade/8bitty Support or Hijacking Button Behavior

Post by cknoblet »

Hello, there's a great new Bluetooth Snes type controller available from ThinkGeek called the iCade 8Bitty. While this thing was originally intended for use with iOS and Android devices, it will pair as a Bluetooth keyboard for Windows and OSX machines.

This seems like a great wireless solution for a controller while using Snes9x, but I've run into a problem. The iCade hardware seems to send a single non-repeating keystroke (buttonDown) for button presses, and a single termination keystroke upon release (buttonUp). The result of this functionality makes it where your character in a given game would move one step, then do absolutely nothing, even though you're holding the button down.

So I'm wondering if iCade support could be considered in future releases, there is an SDK for the iCade standard.

I'm thinking that's probably a longshot, so my second request is for suggestions on where to hijack the current control code to place a "loop current button press until the termination stroke is sent" hack. I think I could make a local build that would suit my needs if I just knew where to start looking.

Thanks all.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: iCade/8bitty Support or Hijacking Button Behavior

Post by OV2 »

The chances are very low that this will be implemented without having that controller.
Which port are you interested in? In the win port S9xWinScanJoypads takes care of determining joypad button states.
cknoblet
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cknoblet »

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get this thing working with the OSX build, I've not been able to find who's currently managing that port, is he/she ever on these forums?
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

That's zones, and he regularly checks the forums.