Functions against PAL juddering

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
LordHoly
Snes9x White Belt

Functions against PAL juddering

Post by LordHoly »

Hello.

Snes9x is the best Emulator I ever have seen! I am using it since 2000.

The Emulator works really well with NTFS games. But there is a problem with PAL games. This is not a problem of Snes9x, but a common problem.
NTFS games run with 60 FPS (frames per seconds), while PAL games run with 50.
Because the most TFTs and LCTs run with 60 FPS, PAL games judders a little bit because the framerates does not match up. When you play PAL games, you will know what I mean.
I think the problem is not only the fact that TFTs run with 60 FPS because I testet some PAL games with an older monitor which runs with 100 FPS (which is a multiple of 50 FPS) and it still judders.

Is there a possibility to implement functions against this PAL juddering? For example "Frame Blending". Frame blending fades two frames, so the animations are smoother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spnPUORGMak
At 0:22, you can see what this does. When rendering a new frame, it takes the previous one with less opacity (lower alpha value) and fades them together to create smoother animations.

Can you implement it? Or do you have better ideas?
bl0ckeduser
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Functions against PAL juddering

Post by bl0ckeduser »

BTW, it's called NTSC.

I guess a developer could implement your suggestion. There's already graphical interpolation filters, so maybe a temporal interpolation filter could be made.

EDIT: hmm, have you tried the NTSC filter ? It might be able to convert your PAL games to 60 Hz
Last edited by bl0ckeduser on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordHoly
Snes9x White Belt

Post by LordHoly »

Oh, Thank you very much. This will solve all our problems.
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

The Emulator works really well with NTFS games. But there is a problem with PAL games. This is not a problem of Snes9x, but a common problem.
NTFS games run with 60 FPS (frames per seconds), while PAL games run with 50.
Because the most TFTs and LCTs run with 60 FPS, PAL games judders a little bit because the framerates does not match up. When you play PAL games, you will know what I mean.
I think the problem is not only the fact that TFTs run with 60 FPS because I testet some PAL games with an older monitor which runs with 100 FPS (which is a multiple of 50 FPS) and it still judders.
Purely coincidental

With that, i don't see judder on any of my pal roms at 59.94hz