Starting on Development

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
rulojuka
Snes9x White Belt

Starting on Development

Post by rulojuka »

Hello everybody.

I am new to developing and I was looking for a project to join and try to learn some stuff and hopefully help it too, so I thought about Snes9x, because i have been using it for years and always thought it was pretty good and, even better, open source.

Well, the problem is: I don't have any familiarity with real development nor with the SNES hardware. I can program well in C, and I'm learning C++, but I've always had a more algorithmic approach, writing small programs in a competition scheme.

In resume, i would appreciate if you could give me some starting points to the development, like how to understand the source code as a whole, or SNES hardware manuals, or even suggestions to other projects I may look if Snes9x is a bit hard for a beginner.

So, thanks in advance.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Welcome to Snes9x, then! Glad to have you on board.

I believe the sources are heavily documented; you can download the latest source, v1.53, at http://camoyoshi.x10.mx/mirror/snes9x/s ... rc.tar.tar

I can't remember any other resources that might be helpful at the moment. Sorry about that... Stick around and one of the port maintainers might show up and help you out. :P

And thanks for volunteering, as well!
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Joe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Joe »

Ah, yes. I'm in the process of compiling it as well. I want to look at it and try a few things

I'm getting a roadblock at the .obj files. Anyone got a guide to compiling the .asm files with nasm?
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

The asm files are outdated and haven't been used in 1.52 and upwards. You don't need them.
The 1.53 source shouldn't even include them anymore.
Joe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Joe »

Yeah, the Visual Studio 2008 linker seems like it's trying to integrate .obj files.

Edit: nevermind. Seems like I have the 1.43 source. I just got the latest. I'll try to chronicle what I did so far.

#1: had to download the nVidia cg toolkit
#2: after installing zlib and libpng, had to rename the .lib files in the linker includes from xxxmt.lib to the respective files. (libpng.lib and zdll.lib). Feel free to correct me if I did an oopsie here
#3: Had to remove some of the paths for FMOD in the config. Also installed the FMOD toolkit

Some things I noticed that may help:
C++/Preprocessor: you can try here to turn off a few features to help you get things to compile

I won't bother telling everyone to configure VS's include/bin/lib dirs

Libpng was pretty easy to install

And success! It feels awesome
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

There is a how2compile.txt in win32/docs ;)
Joe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Joe »

Bleh. That would have been nice to know.

Anyways, I'm already messing around with it.