Snes9X EX (port for Android, iOS, WebOS)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

MechaBouncer wrote:Although there is one feature that SNesoid has that would be awesome if it could be eventually added to Snes9x: Netplay. Even though it's not that fast, it would still be nice to have. Although it seems that the feature was taken out of Snes9x 1.43, which Snes9x EX is derived from. Hopefully it will happen some day. My dream is to one day be able to play Rock n' Roll Racing with friends wirelessly on a mobile device. :)
unfortunately, I think you and the other people would need to have unlimited data plans for that...

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
MechaBouncer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MechaBouncer »

Ah, well I do, but I was thinking of over WiFi and/or possibly Bluetooth. :wink:
-MB out
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Bluetooth is ... problematic. Over wi-fi might work though.
adventure_of_link

MechaBouncer wrote:Ah, well I do, but I was thinking of over WiFi and/or possibly Bluetooth. :wink:
Oooh, you're right... normal handheld devices these days DO support wi-fi.. apologies :oops:

either way I wonder how reliable the connection will be?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

MechaBouncer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MechaBouncer »

That's the primary question. Wireless in general has more problems with interference that can cause data delays. I hear that the current implementation in SNesoid runs really slow, but I'm not sure if that's because of the data transmission or if it's sending sync information too frequently. It's also supposed to support both WiFi and Bluetooth, which is why I mentioned them.
-MB out
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

On top of that, SNES9x has never been especially well-known for being good at netplay. That's more the domain of ZSNES.
adventure_of_link

MechaBouncer wrote:That's the primary question. Wireless in general has more problems with interference that can cause data delays. I hear that the current implementation in SNesoid runs really slow, but I'm not sure if that's because of the data transmission or if it's sending sync information too frequently. It's also supposed to support both WiFi and Bluetooth, which is why I mentioned them.
that explains why my fusion wi-fi on my blackberry always epic fails.. :(

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

MechaBouncer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MechaBouncer »

Yeah. It also depends on the hardware. For instance, my Backflip can't see the WiFi network out at my parents' house, but every other WiFi device I have can. No idea of what it is other than maybe it's got flaky WiFi to begin with. Nothing beats a good wired connection, but that's not an option for mobile devices.
-MB out
adventure_of_link

MechaBouncer wrote:Yeah. It also depends on the hardware. For instance, my Backflip can't see the WiFi network out at my parents' house, but every other WiFi device I have can. No idea of what it is other than maybe it's got flaky WiFi to begin with. Nothing beats a good wired connection, but that's not an option for mobile devices.
that's weird; for starters, does the network use WEP and/or WAP? and if so, does your phone support those protocols?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

MechaBouncer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MechaBouncer »

It's a WEP network using MAC address filtering and it doesn't broadcast the SSID. I should know, I set it up. I had to use WEP because that's as high as the Nintendo DS supports. I've got the same kind of router set up similarly in my apartment, the only difference being that they have the stock firmware on theirs and I have DD-WRT on mine.

At one time, I even had the phone configured to work with theirs and it still has my MAC address in it's list. But the phone stopped seeing the network at all sometime after I updated the phone's OS to Android 2.1 from 1.5. It's possible it might be a new wireless radio driver, but I don't know for sure. I would think it wouldn't work with my router either.

I'm at the point where I don't really care anymore because it's not worth it to me to figure out right now. Then again, I might have to because I'm planning on donating this one to my brother when I upgrade. :?

That's also part of the reason I wanted to mention the frame dropping on the older hardware because it'll be something he'll have to deal with after that. Although I don't know if he'll be doing much gaming on it or not. I've got a Game-Gripper for it, but it slips out of position so much that it only really works for RPGs and they don't need fast graphics.
-MB out
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

Here's a quick preview of Snes9x EX 1.3.27. Besides updated on-screen control graphics, you can now set the L/R buttons to a couple different layouts and also move the Start/Select buttons to the sides of the screen (good for tablets). The new screenshots are up on my site.
kwan728
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kwan728 »

Rakashazi wrote:Here's a quick preview of Snes9x EX 1.3.27. Besides updated on-screen control graphics, you can now set the L/R buttons to a couple different layouts and also move the Start/Select buttons to the sides of the screen (good for tablets). The new screenshots are up on my site.
Cannot find this update for IOS version? And is there any update about the wiimote controller in this version? Sometimes it has a 1-2 sec delay. Thanks
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

kwan728 wrote: Cannot find this update for IOS version? And is there any update about the wiimote controller in this version? Sometimes it has a 1-2 sec delay. Thanks
It'll be out this week, was able to slip the Android version out a bit early :)

About the Wiimote controls, I'm still looking into the issue but haven't been able to reproduce it. Do you have any MobileSubstrate mods installed on your phone?
kwan728
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kwan728 »

Rakashazi wrote:
kwan728 wrote: Cannot find this update for IOS version? And is there any update about the wiimote controller in this version? Sometimes it has a 1-2 sec delay. Thanks
It'll be out this week, was able to slip the Android version out a bit early :)

About the Wiimote controls, I'm still looking into the issue but haven't been able to reproduce it. Do you have any MobileSubstrate mods installed on your phone?
i just checked my cydia installed package, Mobile Substrate was installed. and i use the save and load state very often, not very sure if the delay is something related to this issue.
kwan728
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kwan728 »

and one more thing, the wiimote delay problem seems more serious on my IPAD 1, i will check my IPAD Mobile Substrate status tonight. THX a lot!
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

kwan728 wrote: i just checked my cydia installed package, Mobile Substrate was installed. and i use the save and load state very often, not very sure if the delay is something related to this issue.
It'll be installed due to BTstack, but are you running any other packages that use it like SBSettings, Backgrounder, etc?
kwan728
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kwan728 »

Rakashazi wrote:
kwan728 wrote: i just checked my cydia installed package, Mobile Substrate was installed. and i use the save and load state very often, not very sure if the delay is something related to this issue.
It'll be installed due to BTstack, but are you running any other packages that use it like SBSettings, Backgrounder, etc?
My Cydia installed list on IPAD1 are :
AppList
AppSync for 4.0+
BigBoss Icon Set
Cydia Installer
Cydia Translations
DisplayOut
Hackulous Resources
IAcces HD HongKong
IAccess's Source
iFile
Installous 4
Mobile Substrate
RetinaPad
Snes9x Ex
Source GUI
SpringBoardAccess

normally the delay occur when play a game for over 5 min.
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

Seems like this may be happening due to some buffering of bluetooth events by BTstack when a lot of inputs are applied during a large frame skip. I'll do some more investigation and see if I can find a solution.
kwan728
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kwan728 »

Rakashazi wrote:Seems like this may be happening due to some buffering of bluetooth events by BTstack when a lot of inputs are applied during a large frame skip. I'll do some more investigation and see if I can find a solution.
THX!!!!!
Rendicil
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Rendicil »

This is an awesome app and i love the fact that I can basically play snes games anywhere. Thanks for your hard work! I was also wondering the same thing as this guy from page 1...
mrbonner wrote:Hey was wondering will cheats be available soon for these ports?