Snes9x 1.52 is now dead due to Snes9X 1.53 being out

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
Deathbringer
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Hello

Post by Deathbringer »

creaothceann wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:the screenshots I take looks crashed or something. It's strange because when I open the screenshot with ACDSee Viewer it looks good, but In the windows viewer looks messed up.
Don't use Windows Viewer. :wink:

IrfanView is good, too.
Not only on windows viewer looks messed up, in paint, in a frontend (GoodFE), in window explorer (thumbnails),etc.
I only see it right on ACDSee.
I don't know why, in older versions this doesn't happen.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

What's wrong with using alt+printscreen?
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Deathbringer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Deathbringer »

haha, what is the meaning of a screenshot hotkey (that you can configure with your pad,etc) then? haha

As I said before, the Fullscreen option is always unchecked too, but that is a minor problem I think.

Only trying to help the emu to get the maximum potential.

Greets
sjyune
Snes9x White Belt

Sync Sound & Display Hiccup

Post by sjyune »

does anyone notice when 'Sync Sound' is enabled, display/scrolling get occassional hiccups.. ?
it's just like auto-frame-skipping is activated
'Sync Sound' didn't affect display/frame rate in older versions
it's quite stuttering for shooters and actions..
iceman101101
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Sync Sound & Display Hiccup

Post by iceman101101 »

sjyune wrote:does anyone notice when 'Sync Sound' is enabled, display/scrolling get occassional hiccups.. ?
I had that problem until I enabled VSync in the snes9x config file. There is a checkbox under the display configuration in the latest release (fix4). Also, note that you may have to tweak the input frequency in the audio config. The default of 31900 kHz seems to work fine for me.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Deathbringer wrote:haha, what is the meaning of a screenshot hotkey (that you can configure with your pad,etc) then? haha

As I said before, the Fullscreen option is always unchecked too, but that is a minor problem I think.

Greets
The screenshots/WinXp issue seems to be a libpng issue - I'll update this in the next release.

The fullscreen option is always unchecked because opening the display options menu in fullscreen switches to windowed mode first.
sjyune wrote:does anyone notice when 'Sync Sound' is enabled, display/scrolling get occassional hiccups.. ?
Sync Sound works completely different than in previous versions (where it only performed the mixing more often). If it is enabled, emulation waits for the host sound system to consume available sound samples before continuing. If you encounter hiccups you might have the input frequency set to a value that is too low.
sjyune
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sjyune »

Yes, indeed i get much less hiccups (but not as smooth as older versions) but if I increase input frequency value then I get crackling noise...
Not enabling 'Sound sync' also causes emulation speed/frame rate unthrottled and crakling noise as well...so it's not 'optional' like before but "must"

i prefer old method as scrolling was like baby's butt...
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

If you disable sound sync you'll have to enable VSync or switch frame skipping to automatic.
Deathbringer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Deathbringer »

OV2 wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:haha, what is the meaning of a screenshot hotkey (that you can configure with your pad,etc) then? haha

Greets
The screenshots/WinXp issue seems to be a libpng issue - I'll update this in the next release.

The fullscreen option is always unchecked because opening the display options menu in fullscreen switches to windowed mode first.
Thanks OV2! Waiting for the new release!

PS: Playing some games I note that even selecting V-Sync sometimes the upper part of the screen shows some turbulency (or something haha), is minimal but anyways I think I have to let you know.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Now we just need to wait for a wii/gamecube port, right?
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
sjyune
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sjyune »

OV2 wrote:If you disable sound sync you'll have to enable VSync or switch frame skipping to automatic.
thanks alot, that surely fixed that speed issue, though still crackling noise won't go away.....i tried every combination (sampling rate / input frequency set), but i still get these crackling noise without 'sound sync'...maybe it's win9x timining issue or my sound card is out-of-date...but really i can't complain ..anyway, thanks again for the special win9x build.. :wink:
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You can try either getting a audio card or updating your drivers.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
squall_leonhart69r

Re: Hello

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

Deathbringer wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:the screenshots I take looks crashed or something. It's strange because when I open the screenshot with ACDSee Viewer it looks good, but In the windows viewer looks messed up.
Don't use Windows Viewer. :wink:

IrfanView is good, too.
Not only on windows viewer looks messed up, in paint, in a frontend (GoodFE), in window explorer (thumbnails),etc.
I only see it right on ACDSee.
I don't know why, in older versions this doesn't happen.
a well known issue. the windows based previews lower the quality for some unknown reason.

Use paint.net for best viewing.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Yes. Paint.NET is like, epic win from Microsoft.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
King Of Chaos
Snes9x White Belt

Post by King Of Chaos »

You are aware Paint.NET isn't actually developed by Microsoft, right?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

*ahem*

Copyright (C) 2010 dotPDN LLC, Rick Brewster, and contributors. Portions Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

(I had to replace the copyright symbol since the forum would cut off my post if I used it.)
Tukuyomi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tukuyomi »

.NET is (C) MS Corp, not paint.NET
cibomatto2002
Snes9x White Belt

Doom on Snes9x 1.52 Fix4

Post by cibomatto2002 »

Doom has some Grafix Errors

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Dirext X 9.0c Aug. 2009

Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

It's the SuperFX emulation... I compared Doom with UOSNES and SNES9x and UOSNES has better SuperFX emulation with this game.
CahosRahneVeloza
Snes9x White Belt

Post by CahosRahneVeloza »

Hi, thank you for this great update :)

I was so surprised when I first heard of this from another great site I frequent.

Out of the three top rated SNES emulators:

SNES9X
ZSNES and
Bsnes

I have fallen very much in love with SNES9x primarily because this has better game compatibility with it's then rival ZSNES. Bsnes I never got to try out as I've been using both SNES9X & ZSNES for years.

Anyway, I just want to inform you that I found something odd with regards to this new version's game loading screen. I'm a Windows XP user & I just noticed when I try to load a game using the normal (not custom) load game window & click on "My Computer", the window does not show the usual stuff it should show (the Drives I have etcetera), but when I hit the browse tab above & manually find my C: or D: drives it then shows what's in them it's just what you should initially see that's missing.

Also, one feature that the emulator seems to have not implemented is the capability to close a ROM you are currently running if say you're finished with it & want to play another game. This used to be somewhat annoying with version 1.51 as doing so often ended with the emulator giving you an .OOPS file from the game you did not close after you loaded a new game.