It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Grid Cartographer 4
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:47 pm 
Snes9x White Belt

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to discuss this!

I'm the developer of a commercial application called Grid Cartographer 4 which is an RPG mapping program. ( http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/ ) It's been a passion project of mine for a few years now and has grown to be quite advanced.

One feature that I've recently added is a protocol that allows for a modified version of an emulator to render its output not in its own window, but to a shared memory connection and then onto a split screen within Grid Cartographer. This makes drawing maps easier because you no longer have to use 2 computers, or ALT-TAB between the game and the app.

I'm no stranger to emulation, back in my school days I wrote NeoPop, a Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator. I'm now trying to make a piece of software that people will find useful and when playing specific old RPGs. I feel that enjoyment can be enhanced by using my software to draw maps while you play.

The reason I'm posting this is because I'd like to ask for feedback/permission on whether taking the source to Snes9x, altering its video code so that it connects to Grid Cartographer and publishing that as modified binary (with source/diff of my changes) on my website as an independent download, would be acceptable use within the scope of the license?

I appreciate this is kind of an unusual request. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Post subject: Re: Grid Cartographer 4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:25 pm 
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

The s9x license says strictly non-commercial, and I guess this would be distribution for commercial purposes. I personally wouldn't mind this particular case, but I don't think you can get a hold of all previous authors.

For your use-case you might want to look at doing the integration via libretro - that way you'd get snes9x and all other supported systems in one go. It still wouldn't allow you to distribute it, but I don't think giving your users the ability to drop in a dll by themselves is prohibited.