Snes9x 1.54

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!

Moderator: Ryan

User avatar
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Snes9x 1.54

Post by OV2 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:11 pm

It's still alive :!:
After five years with no official builds, we finally got around to release a new version of Snes9x (thanks BearOso). Unfortunately zones has since gone missing, which is why there is no macOS version this time. The gtk and unix ports are updated, but are not provided as binary relases - you will need to compile them yourself or wait for builds for your distribution.
The major change since 1.53 is the updated SMP, which was graciously provided by byuu (bsnes).


Download mirrors:
https://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/
http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Snes9x 1.54
- Changed the S-SMP core module to one written by byuu.     (byuu, BearOso)
  This has the effect of increased accuracy, fewer
  speed hacks, but also regresses a few speed-hack games.
- Improved IRQ emulation in several cases.                  (OV2)
- Added rewind support.                                     (Themaister, OV2)
- Included libretro port.                                   (OV2, libretro team)
- Added bps soft-patching support                           (OV2)
- Fixed MMC bank register bit 7, restored 64mbit ExLoRom
  map                                                       (FuSoYa)
- GTK+, Windows: Added xBRZ filter                          (Zenju, OV2, nmagre)
- GTK+: Fixed several issues with GTK+3.                    (BearOso)
- GTK+: Added extra aspect ratio options.                   (BearOso)
- GTK+: Added option to mute sound when using turbo mode.   (BearOso)
- GTK+: Fixed expose handling to reduce overdraw and        (BearOso)
  improve performance.
- GTK+: Updated and universalized Spanish translation.      (jristz)
- Unix: Added Xv support and fixed several bugs.            (greg-kennedy)
- Win32: Added CG meta shader support                       (OV2, Themaister)
- Win32: Added support to detect joypad changes             (OV2)
- Win32: Fixed unicode command line parameters,
  Fixed controller command line parameters                  (OV2)
- Win32: Added quit hotkey                                  (OV2)
- Win32: Fixed custom rom dialog                            (OV2)
- Win32: Fixed various cheat dialog issues                  (gocha, OV2)
- Win32: Added hotkey for fast forward toggling             (gocha)
- Win32: Added drag and drop support for movies             (gocha)
- Win32: Fixed blargg filter for regular width hires        (OV2)
- Win32: Fixed snapshot loading from unicode paths          (OV2)
- Win32: Changed open-with file-association method, should
  no longer change explorer icons for otherwise
  unassociated extensions; removed legacy extensions        (OV2)

the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by the_randomizer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Glad to see this still being worked on :mrgreen: I'll ask around to see if a Wii U port can be made since the console can run a kernel exploit.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"

azoreseuropa
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by azoreseuropa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Congratulations! What about Mac users like us ?

odditude
Snes9x Orange Belt
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by odditude » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:49 am

azoreseuropa wrote:Congratulations! What about Mac users like us ?
OV2 wrote:Unfortunately zones has since gone missing, which is why there is no macOS version this time.
----

thank you to OV2, BearOso, and the other contributors!

azoreseuropa
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by azoreseuropa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks

User avatar
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:50 am

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by BearOso » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:29 pm

We're sorry about the Mac port. I no longer have a Mac recent enough to do the update or I would try.

If anyone out there with the know-how wants to take up the mantle and bring it up to snuff, you're welcome to do so.

I'm also looking at releasing a 1.54.1 version in the near future because of the problems with both the Windows and GTK+ versions.

azoreseuropa
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by azoreseuropa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:37 pm

BearOso wrote:We're sorry about the Mac port. I no longer have a Mac recent enough to do the update or I would try.

If anyone out there with the know-how wants to take up the mantle and bring it up to snuff, you're welcome to do so.

I'm also looking at releasing a 1.54.1 version in the near future because of the problems with both the Windows and GTK+ versions.
Can it be compiling to Mac ? Curiousity. I saw SNES9X 1.54.1 source at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/

Is it possibly ? I need an tutorial to compile it and yes I have Xcode the latest version. I will be gladly to share it at s9x-w32.de for Mac users to download it.

Again, I need an tutorial for how to do that. I never compile it before.

odditude
Snes9x Orange Belt
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by odditude » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:08 pm

BearOso wrote:I'm also looking at releasing a 1.54.1 version in the near future because of the problems with both the Windows and GTK+ versions.
can you provide a list of known issues? this would help users decide whether it's better for a given case to use 1.54 or a previous build.

User avatar
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:50 am

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by BearOso » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:42 pm

odditude wrote:
BearOso wrote:I'm also looking at releasing a 1.54.1 version in the near future because of the problems with both the Windows and GTK+ versions.
can you provide a list of known issues? this would help users decide whether it's better for a given case to use 1.54 or a previous build.
1.54.1 is just a port bugfix release. OV2 will probably post the changelog to the first post.

Just use the latest version. If it's too slow, use an older version. If you're playing a game that needs more accuracy, like Rendering Ranger R2, Super Punch Out!, Airstrike Patrol, or (God forbid) Speedy Gonzales, use bsnes/higan or Retroarch with a bsnes/higan core.

azoreseuropa
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by azoreseuropa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:23 pm

BearOso wrote:
odditude wrote:
BearOso wrote:I'm also looking at releasing a 1.54.1 version in the near future because of the problems with both the Windows and GTK+ versions.
can you provide a list of known issues? this would help users decide whether it's better for a given case to use 1.54 or a previous build.
1.54.1 is just a port bugfix release. OV2 will probably post the changelog to the first post.

Just use the latest version. If it's too slow, use an older version. If you're playing a game that needs more accuracy, like Rendering Ranger R2, Super Punch Out!, Airstrike Patrol, or (God forbid) Speedy Gonzales, use bsnes/higan or Retroarch with a bsnes/higan core.
Can it be compiling to Mac ? Curiousity. I saw SNES9X 1.54.1 source at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/

Is it possibly ? I need an tutorial to compile it and yes I have Xcode the latest version. I will be gladly to share it at s9x-w32.de for Mac users to download it.

Again, I need an tutorial for how to do that. I never compile it before.

User avatar
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:50 am

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by BearOso » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:03 pm

azoreseuropa wrote: Can it be compiling to Mac ? Curiousity. I saw SNES9X 1.54.1 source at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/

Is it possibly ? I need an tutorial to compile it and yes I have Xcode the latest version. I will be gladly to share it at s9x-w32.de for Mac users to download it.

Again, I need an tutorial for how to do that. I never compile it before.
It's more than just compiling it. You'd have to update the port to match new code in the rest of Snes9x.

azoreseuropa
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by azoreseuropa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:33 pm

BearOso wrote:
azoreseuropa wrote: Can it be compiling to Mac ? Curiousity. I saw SNES9X 1.54.1 source at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/

Is it possibly ? I need an tutorial to compile it and yes I have Xcode the latest version. I will be gladly to share it at s9x-w32.de for Mac users to download it.

Again, I need an tutorial for how to do that. I never compile it before.
It's more than just compiling it. You'd have to update the port to match new code in the rest of Snes9x.
I see. Can you tell me how ? I will be happy to share it at the site for Mac users as I mentioned before.

User avatar
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54.1

Post by OV2 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:13 pm

We've pushed a small bugfix release (1.54.1), the download links are the same as in the first post.

Changes:

Code: Select all

Snes9x 1.54.1
- GTK+: Properly use --std=c++11 when compiling xBRZ.       (BearOso)
- Win32: Save window position when toggling fullscreen.     (OV2)
- Win32: Do not assign down-left binding to down-right.     (OV2)

odditude
Snes9x Orange Belt
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by odditude » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

azoreseuropa wrote:
BearOso wrote:
azoreseuropa wrote: Can it be compiling to Mac ? Curiousity. I saw SNES9X 1.54.1 source at http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/

Is it possibly ? I need an tutorial to compile it and yes I have Xcode the latest version. I will be gladly to share it at s9x-w32.de for Mac users to download it.

Again, I need an tutorial for how to do that. I never compile it before.
It's more than just compiling it. You'd have to update the port to match new code in the rest of Snes9x.
I see. Can you tell me how ? I will be happy to share it at the site for Mac users as I mentioned before.
no, we can't tell you how; the work requires an experienced Mac programmer.

azoreseuropa
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by azoreseuropa » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:28 pm

odditude wrote:
no, we can't tell you how; the work requires an experienced Mac programmer.
Okay, I guess. One day they will release .dmg version for Mac users then. Thank you.

HackGenz
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by HackGenz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm

when testing out Kirby Super Star it seems to still be having slow down on the video when the 3D intro moves when it is rotated, so it's delayed compared to the audio. Same thing happens in Super Mario RPG to the intro when the butterflys fly away from Peach. Is there anyway to fix this? Because that's the only issue I have with it.

Stillmatic
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 am

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by Stillmatic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:34 am

BearOso wrote:
Just use the latest version. If it's too slow, use an older version. If you're playing a game that needs more accuracy, like Rendering Ranger R2, Super Punch Out!, Airstrike Patrol, or (God forbid) Speedy Gonzales, use bsnes/higan or Retroarch with a bsnes/higan core.
Do you know what problems 'Rendering Ranger R2' has on Snes9x? Is the game impossible to complete?

User avatar
slack
Snes9x Yellow Belt
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by slack » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:35 am

I'm glad to see the project is still alve. Great job and thanks!

synnae
Snes9x White Belt
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by synnae » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:14 pm

On v1.54 (and v1.54.1) if you close the emulator while playing a movie, the emulator crashes. This happens even after the movie has already finished. It gives the following error:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: snes9x.exe
Application Version: 1.5.3.0
Application Timestamp: 580219c5
Fault Module Name: snes9x.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.5.3.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 580219c5
Exception Offset: 002cdb50
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1838
Additional Information 2: 1838afc55b97bcb0e9c66fd54ea523b3
Additional Information 3: 4800
Additional Information 4: 4800c51ebdbf5fd193e45c1fe4bb754b
Could this be fixed, please?

User avatar
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Re: Snes9x 1.54

Post by OV2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:13 pm

What exactly is "while playing a movie"? A movie file from your pc? Which player? S9x should not be affected by that - did you try changing the output method to OpenGL?

Post Reply