Music Box is great, anyway to use it during emulation?

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
nessx007
Snes9x White Belt

Music Box is great, anyway to use it during emulation?

Post by nessx007 »

Hey guys, first time on these forums, forgive any transgressions!

I've recently been inspired to dig into the sound effects of Super Metroid, and couldn't find a complete sound bank online, so I decided to pull them out manually, separated channel by channel. I like the simple visualization and checkboxes of music box and how it lets me isolate certain sound effects (and turn off music), but I've found it difficult to use for action-based sounds that require input, which is unavailable while music box is open. Also, music box does not remember which channels I've muted upon exit, making it impossible to capture certain sound effects live since the music track continues to play underneath.

Maybe music box is just that, a music box to listen to a song in a given area, and was never meant to serve as a robust audio configuration tool, but I'd love to have a little more control over all the audio channels inside and outside of emulation. Is there any way to achieve this? Is there another program more suited to controlling audio within the game? To be clear, I'm looking to capture sounds as they appear in gameplay, I do not wish to extract the raw sound effects from a ROM which would lack the appropriate pitch-shifting and context.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm using ver 1.53 (also, the backwards arrow "|<" button in music box is always grayed out for me, what is this supposed to do and why can't I use it?")

Thanks guys.