New to emulators

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

New to emulators

Post by jammyredstripe »

Hi,

Im new to android and emulators. Im using a galaxy tab 2 10.1 (if that makes a difference) on wifi (i dont have a pc/laptop.

Ive downloaded snes 9x EX+.

I then went on to something i found on google called -mod edit: don't mention ROM sites, even if it's just the title.- and project64_1.6.exe which it said i would need to down load to play nintendo 64 games then i downloaded mario kart 64.

When i go into my snes9xEX app and click on load game i can find 'mariokart64.zip' but it wont open and then i cant come out of snes9xEX. I have to come out via task manager.

Im probably doing everything wrong.

Can you do my a dummy guide step by step so i can play retro games please? ;)

Danielle
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: New to emulators

Post by odditude »

snes9x ex is a snes emulator. mario kart 64 is not a snes game.
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

Oh im so sorry im husband said he thought ot was nintendo and thought it was :/ im sorry

Did i do the process right though?
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

Ive downloaded 2 definate snes games called super_mario_kart.zip & super_mario_world.zip from -mod edit: don't ask for ROM sites or mention where you got your ROMs, even if it's the site title.- also downloaded znes151.zip all files have been placed automatically in my external sd card, shall i move them to SNESdroid roms folder?
Also when i click on the 2 games all i get is 'error loading games'

I appreciated my questions to all of your will be ridiculous but as a first time android user i never even knew anyone of this was possible until i saw it on a forum!

Please be helpful, remember we all start somewhere right!

Thanks, danielle
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

Please help?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

First off, please don't post ROM sites, even the names of them. Additionally please try not to needlessly bump your thread, have patience. this is a web forum, not a 24/7 live tech support service.

Next off, Project64 and ZSNES are Windows emulators of the Nintendo 64 and the SNES, respectively. if you want to play n64 on your tablet you'll have to download an n64 emulator for Android.

As for loading ROMs from zip files, I dunno if Android can do that or not. However, you can make your life easier by creating a folder on your SD card or internal storage, say, snesroms or something. then place all your Super Nintendo ROMs in that folder. (and you can do the same thing for n64 ROMs, just make the folder in that regard n64roms or whatever. ;) ) and of course if your respective emulators won't load ROMs from zip files you can always extract them on your computer then copy over the actual ROM image (should be *.smc or *.sfc or whatever in the SNES's regard; *.z64, *.v64, *.rom, etc in the regard of N64).

PS: We don't support SNESdroid officially, unless the dev wants to make his port known or if there haven't already been conflicts (usually in the past people would port and sell Snes9X which is a big no-no)

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

Thank you,
Its all new to me, so very confusing!!

The emulator im using is this emulator snes9x

Im assuming it wont play zip files because all i get is an error message.

Can i unzip roms on my android as i dont have a pc/laptop.

Thanks you
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

Ive Made a file called snesroms in sdcard (not external sd card) In there ive put the zsnes151.zip (which on the rom site it said i needed) then also ive put the super mario kart.zip. When i click on super mario all i get is "error loading game" which is what ive always had. With any game. Im usinf snes9xEX and going into 'load game' and finding mario kart through that.

Where am i going wrong? :(
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

jammyredstripe wrote:Can i unzip roms on my android as i dont have a pc/laptop.
yes; i use ZArchiver.

zsnes151.zip is the download archive for the latest version of zsnes, which is another snes emulator for windows, linux, and mac os (like snes9x). you do not need it.
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

odditude wrote:
jammyredstripe wrote:Can i unzip roms on my android as i dont have a pc/laptop.
yes; i use ZArchiver.

zsnes151.zip is the download archive for the latest version of zsnes, which is another snes emulator for windows, linux, and mac os (like snes9x). you do not need it.
Oh right. I will delete that then.

If you see above though i still dont understand why its not working :/ thanks for replying and trying to help. Im wondering if im a lost cause lol
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

and if you unzip the rom?
jammyredstripe
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jammyredstripe »

odditude wrote:and if you unzip the rom?
Ive unzipped them and get a massive list of things! Which is the game?!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

jammyredstripe wrote:
odditude wrote:and if you unzip the rom?
Ive unzipped them and get a massive list of things! Which is the game?!
if you unzipped the file and got a massive list of files, that would certainly explain why it wouldn't load..

as I said, look for the file that is a *.smc or *.sfc or whatever extension. Could you provide a full listing of the files you got including extensions (example: super mario kart.smc, promotion.txt, readme.txt)?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley