Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past controls issue

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
kygblues
Snes9x White Belt

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past controls issue

Post by kygblues »

I recently downloaded snes9x for mac--I'm running OS X v10.8.2--and everything was working fine initially. Over the last two days I've been having an issue with the controls (I'm using the keyboard, for what it's worth).

In The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, the A button lets you talk to people, run (if you hold A with the pegasus boots equipped), lift boulders (if you have the power glove equipped), and pull on or pick up special items at various points throughout the game. Suddenly I can't run (which hasn't been an issue thus far), and now I'm at a point in the game where I need to pull a lever to continue in one of the dungeons, and I can't do this either. I can still talk to people, read signs, and pick up boulders.

I've searched Google and this forum, but haven't found anything remotely similar. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Re: Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past controls issue

Post by adventure_of_link »

Which dungeon? There were several kinds of levers.

If the lever looks like a upside down T, you hold down A and push Down on the control pad. (found in the room before sanctuary and in the light world version of the second dungeon.) If, on the other hand it looks like a reversed P, all you do is keep walking into the bottom part of that P until it activates.

Additionally can you post back the CRC32 number of your LTTP ROM file? the no run even with Pegasus shoes is a weird one... unless keyboard combo button pushing is worse than it is in Windows... also, what version of Snes9X are you using?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

out of curiosity, what happens if you bind the A button to a different key? preferably, try a modifier key like shift or command.

you may be running into an issue with the number of keys you're hitting at once - most keyboards don't behave properly in that situation.
kvarken
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kvarken »

Was this problem ever solved? I'm having the same issue, on two different Macs. One running OS X 10.5, the other one 10.10. Both run Snes9x 1.53 (113)

Both computers worked fine at first. But at some point, the A key stopped working correctly in Zelda 3 A Link to the Past. It is still possible to pick up things, but grabbing and pulling things does not, neither do running with the shoes.

The problem is not related to a particular save slot, starting the game all over does not solve it. Clearing the SRAM file has no effect either. Still, I notice that after clearing the Application Support folder for Snes9x, it still remembers my preferences, so there must be other files in the system used by Snes9x. If they were all wiped, perhaps the problem would vanish?
preferredduck
Snes9x White Belt

Post by preferredduck »

I am having the same issues. Played it for years with a keyboard and ps3 controller, most recent time I played only holding A to run with the boots won't work and you get stuck in the game thst way. Thanks for any help.
cypherpunk
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cypherpunk »

On Linux (Ubuntu 14.04), Snes9x 1.53, two iBuffalo Classic USB controllers, I had the same issue. Pressing A would make puffing animations but would not allow the Pegasus boots to work. I unplugged the controller I was using, restarted, and the other controller worked. Not sure if it was about two controllers plugged in at once, or the first one was dropped to many times, but for every other situation that first controller worked fine.