snes9x + ipad + apple tv + Wii U pro controller

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
skyhopper
Snes9x White Belt

snes9x + ipad + apple tv + Wii U pro controller

Post by skyhopper »

Hi everybody!

I recently discovered snes9x is available on iPad! Fantastic news!
I'm using my ipad 3 (ios 5.1.1) in comination with my apple tv to mirror snes9x on my television set.

So I began searching for compatible controllers.

- iCade 8-bitty was my first choice because of the right amount of buttons and the price tag. But I have to pay more shipping costs then the unit is costing me. €50 for a cheap looking, uncomfortable remote control is a little bit too much...

- iControlpad isn't available anymore. iControlpad2 is in production but will be expensive. Is this second version already supported?

- Zeemote: I don't know what to think about that. It looks like a nunchuck controller. So not very usable for snes games.

- I like the wii controller but it has lack of buttons. I saw that it is possible to use the wii classic (pro) controller in combination with the wiimote but I really don't like the wiimote and classic controller combo to play games. Also I don't have those yet so it will cost me €80. If I have no alternative I'll still go for these. Does a wiimote plus works with snes9x? and can I use a classic pro or is the pro version not compatible?

- Today I found a movie on youtube where some guy is showing off the combination of snes9x on an ipad with the Wii U controller. That would be the most ideal solution. a wireless comfortable remote without the use of the Wiimote and for a price tag of €50. Can somebody confirm that such a controller works with snes9x on ipad? I only found this one source. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Jaylee
Snes9x White Belt

Re: snes9x + ipad + apple tv + Wii U pro controller

Post by Jaylee »

I just downloaded the newest snes9x 1.5.3 for ios and it mentioned it now supports the wii u pro controller. I'm thinking of buying it but not sure if it it's worth it to buy it just for one emulator. Anyone know if the wii u pro controller works with any other ios emulators?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Jaylee wrote:I just downloaded the newest snes9x 1.5.3 for ios and it mentioned it now supports the wii u pro controller. I'm thinking of buying it but not sure if it it's worth it to buy it just for one emulator. Anyone know if the wii u pro controller works with any other ios emulators?
if there's a way to rig it to work universally (think sixaxis or wiimotecontroller) or if it's supported in the emulator's internal code (and in this regard Rakashazi's ports of all popular console/handheld emulators all work with Wii Controllers out of the box, there's an option to sync it), then that's what you would want.

and unless you're talking about Snes9X EX+, I don't think any port of Snes9X 1.53 exists for iOS. OTOH, longshot here, but if it works with Wii remotes, it _might_ work with Wii U ones...

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Jaylee
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jaylee »

Ah sorry until now I didnt notice the difference between snes9x and snes9x EX+ (for IOS devices). I am talking exclusively about snes9x EX+ 1.5.9 (correction from my previous post which read 1.5.3) by Robert Broglia. Just wanted to know if anyone has used the Wii U Pro Wireless remote controller with this specific cydia release.
Jaylee
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jaylee »

I just went and tried and bought the wii u pro controller to use with ios snes9x ex+ 1.5.9 and it works like a dream. It's a really nice and comfortable controller. All the other (.emu) Robert broglias 'emulators are updated to support the wii u pro controller.

Tried it with the previous build 1.5.8 and confirmed that only start And select can bind.

Also tried it with

mame4ios 1.4.0-2and crashed
Nes adx 1.6 does not work
Psx4all 3.0.0 does not work
:(

Cant wait till all the other emu dudes update the support for this controller because its perfect for the ipad!
skyhopper
Snes9x White Belt

Post by skyhopper »

Jaylee wrote:I just downloaded the newest snes9x 1.5.3 for ios and it mentioned it now supports the wii u pro controller.
Thanks for replying! So the Wii U controller is supported now? That's great news.
Where is it mentioned? I thought, with the previous release it had a list of supported controllers in the settings panel but i can't find it anymore. I only see: scan for wiimotes.
Jaylee
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jaylee »

Hey Skyhopper,
Robert Broglia hasnt actually updated that menu text in the newest version so it still reads scan for Wiimotes/icp/js1 but I can vouch that it is indeed supported because I am using it now. I gotta tell you man, its friggin niiiice! The Wii U pro controller is perfect really. It feels really really comfortable, looks amazing, the button play is just right and it is so convenient to just keep in my bag and play anywhere. I bought mine for about 50 bucks and really really hope it will be supported by all the other emulators out there. Until then I have these games still to play on the snes9x ex+

Zelda link to the past
Megaman and bass
Rtype 3
Super turrican 2
super double dragon
black thorne
megaman x3
Gradius 3
the lost vikings
contra 3
skyhopper
Snes9x White Belt

Post by skyhopper »

I just went to the store and bought one. How to pair it with the iPad? I've tried several button combinations but it didn't work. How to tell the battery of the controller needs to be charged?
The blue lights of the controller are only blinking for 3 seconds. The controller is charging now.
Jaylee
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jaylee »

First I just want to make sure you have the most updated Snes9x Ex+ version 1.5.9

If you do have this, theres a little red button on the back of the Wii U pro remote. Press that and it should sync. My controller needed charging as well when I first got it but it will still work plugged in. Let me know if this works for you!
skyhopper
Snes9x White Belt

Post by skyhopper »

hi Jaylee,

It works man, thanks! In my excitement, I did not see the sync button at the back of the controller.
I can say it works flawlessly. I'm already playing secret of mana. :)
Other games on my list are secret of mana 2, Secret of Evermore. Those are all Zelda like games.
Yoshi's island is also a nice one.
And also on my list:
DK country, Kirby, Super Mario World, ...
I'll try your game suggestions too ;)
Thanks for taking the risk of buying a Wii U controller and keeping me posted! :)
Jaylee
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jaylee »

Aw man I'm really glad you got it to work. Its a pretty sweet controller for sure.
Secret of mana I hear is really great!
Secret of evermore Ive always wanted to try!
HA I remember DK country! There was a tournament at blockbuster video way back in the day!

Dude I had the same exact question you did a month ago so thanks for posting it and getting it started!