cannot map keyboard buttons

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
qp0al0zm000
Snes9x White Belt

cannot map keyboard buttons

Post by qp0al0zm000 »

Hey I have a serious problem. I normally use the keyboard for playing however it has stopped working. On the keyboard setup page, all the buttons are mapped to the same key, something called #233 and is highlighted in blue. No matter what I press I can't change it back. When I click a button to change, a auto tab starts and skips through all the buttons. Anyone know whats going on here?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: cannot map keyboard buttons

Post by odditude »

snes9x is interpreting a key being held down. do you have a gamepad or other input device connected that's got a button stuck, or do you have any keyboard mapping software installed?
qp0al0zm000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by qp0al0zm000 »

not that I know of.
qp0al0zm000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by qp0al0zm000 »

so does anyone know what button #233 could correspond to?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

in DirectInput, 233 is WebForward (i.e. the forward key on a multimedia keyboard).

what kind of keyboard/mouse do you have? did you install the manufacturer's software? if so, try uninstalling that.
stargazer1682
Snes9x White Belt

Post by stargazer1682 »

I'd like to figure out a solution to this, as I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using an Inspiron 1501 laptop; and the only way to set the keys for snes9x is if I click the field for the button I want to set and very quickly choose the key I want to correspond to it. It then scrolls from there through the remaining fields and then I have to manually click the next one to set and repeat. I drew the correlation to it reading as if a button was stuck, when playing a rom (Super Mario 2) and it kept turning the character to face left; and when it brings up the character selection menu, it scrolls through them to the left, but at random intervals. Both during game play and at the character window, it can sit for a beat without input and not do anything, and then suddenly, randomly go left. So far the character wont move left during game play, just face left; however, as I said, in the character selection menu, the character selected will scroll, but randomly and not in rapid succession...
I had the same problem on my desktop which I thought might be tied to the games on both systems playing really fast previously, but this was corrected when I downloaded and installed v1.53 I put it on my laptop first and everything there was fine; both problems were gone. Then I put it on my desktop and it was fine there too. Then I went back last night to use the emulator on my laptop and suddenly the old problems with the mapping and the speed came up again. It took putting the 1.53 files in a brand new folder, and start from scratch with any settings, to clear up the speed problem, but the issue with it scrolling through the mapping configuration persisted. I have not noticed any issue indicating any keys are stuck outside of the emulator, so I'm left wondering what's going on. It's not a major issue, but it's annoying; especially if for some reason I have to reconfiguring the keys again.