Input Lag Issues

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
rchrdcrg
Snes9x White Belt

Input Lag Issues

Post by rchrdcrg »

OK, I'm probably being a snob and wanting everything to be perfect, but there is just a slight input lag between when I press a button and when something happens. I've tested the same controller on other emulators, including bsnes as well as other systems, and the lag does not exist there. Since there's a myriad settings and I've fiddled with them all (I've been messing with emulators since esnes back in 1997, so I'm not a n00b), feel free to ask what is necessary.

I'm experiencing this in both SNES9X 1.53 as well as the latest TestBuild 20111223. I've tried every video output, fiddled with sound settings, everything. It's a very slight delay, but I've been playing these games for so long that even a tiny delay sticks out like a sore thumb. I would just use bsnes, but the video stutters every couple seconds for some reason, not to mention any time I load up a video filter (ie 2xsai, NTSC filter, etc) it just crashes. I never used to have so many issues back in the day, but then again these emulators weren't nearly as accurate as they are now.

I have been considering switching to 64-bit Windows 7 from 32-bit (I've been fighting the switch from 32 to 64 for years)... would that make any difference or is that basically like using a toaster oven to make apple juice (ie completely and totally unrelated and pointless)? Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions at all? Don't be afraid to get technical... like I said, been in the scene for 15 years. Thanks in advance for any help.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

what kind of controller? also, what's the refresh rate on your monitor?

and no, you're not being a snob; input lag makes the difference between making a perfect jump and just walking off the edge.

as for the x86->x64 thing, there is a very slight chance you'll see a difference (as there are different 32- and 64-bit drivers). i wouldn't expect it to be the case, though.
rchrdcrg
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rchrdcrg »

The controller is an actual SNES controller through a Mayflash 2-port SNES to USB adapter... it works lag free in other apps. The TV is a big LCD TV, so it's 60hz, and yes, I've turned "game mode" on so there is no lag coming from the TV itself.

On a tangent, it's such a shame motion interpolation introduces so much lag... seeing Sonic the Hedgehog on a 240hz TV is a real sight to behold... playing it as such is pretty much impossible, sadly.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

do you see any difference between windowed and (true) full-screen modes?
rchrdcrg
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rchrdcrg »

None at all, whether it's true or emulated full screen.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

...duplicated on win 7 x64 (catalyst 12.1) using a dualshock2 connected via a USB adapter that gives me no noticeable latency normally.

i just realized i haven't been playing anything but RPGs lately, so i fired up megaman X and them smw to double-check - there is indeed at least a one-frame lag on input (on top of the display's latency). i can actually have my finger off the button before mario jumps.
rchrdcrg
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rchrdcrg »

Perhaps ATI is to blame... Visual Pinball 9 runs like it's on a 486 for me, and I've read that ATI's drivers are to blame there. I've hated their drivers ever since I had a Rage Pro in 1998. I swear I'm never buying another ATI card again, even if it has nothing to do with this particular problem. But yeah, I can purposely smack the controller button so it makes a loud sound, and then Mario's jumping sound comes just a hair later. Anyone out there perhaps able to share if you do or don't have this issue and what graphics manufacturer you use?
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

rchrdcrg wrote:Perhaps ATI is to blame... Visual Pinball 9 runs like it's on a 486 for me, and I've read that ATI's drivers are to blame there. I've hated their drivers ever since I had a Rage Pro in 1998. I swear I'm never buying another ATI card again, even if it has nothing to do with this particular problem. But yeah, I can purposely smack the controller button so it makes a loud sound, and then Mario's jumping sound comes just a hair later. Anyone out there perhaps able to share if you do or don't have this issue and what graphics manufacturer you use?
That's the first and last ATI/AMD GPU I ever had. I've stuck with nVidia ever since and not once did their cards let me down.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

rchrdcrg wrote:Perhaps ATI is to blame... Visual Pinball 9 runs like it's on a 486 for me, and I've read that ATI's drivers are to blame there. I've hated their drivers ever since I had a Rage Pro in 1998. I swear I'm never buying another ATI card again, even if it has nothing to do with this particular problem. But yeah, I can purposely smack the controller button so it makes a loud sound, and then Mario's jumping sound comes just a hair later. Anyone out there perhaps able to share if you do or don't have this issue and what graphics manufacturer you use?
I was going to same something about this but I wasn't sure if it was the actual issue...

Too bad nVidia's new cards run a bit hot for tastes, it seems like either way you're gonna get shafted. :\
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

Too bad nVidia's new cards run a bit hot for tastes, it seems like either way you're gonna get shafted. :
where did you hear this rubbish?
rchrdcrg
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rchrdcrg »

Now now, let's not get too far off topic. I know I kinda opened that can of worms, so lemme close it and stick to the issue... I'm sure there are a million threads on the internet where the old ATI vs Nvidia debate is more relevant.
Agama
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Input Lag Issues

Post by Agama »

Hi,

I'm curious about this controller lag issue too. If I use either my XBox 360 controller or an old SNES controller via a USB adapter, I get the same slight lag in version 1.5.3 of the 64-bit Snes9X executable. I've played around with plenty of the display settings, turn off just about all the image processing options (even comparing windowed versus fullscreen), but it doesn't seem to affect the ever-so-slight input lag. I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a PC with an i5-2500K CPU and an Nvidia GTX 560 Ti card.

Incidentally, if I run the much older 1.4.0 Snes9X executable on the very same system, there is virtually no controller lag (I can't quite get the display settings set quite right, though, otherwise I would drop back to using that version).

Thanks for any suggestions!
-A
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

use audio limiting instead of vsync (or both?)
Agama
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Agama »

I don't have Vsync turned on, so that's not it. Where is this audio limiting option? I don't see that anywhere under Sound or Video...

Thanks!
laamanni
Snes9x White Belt

Post by laamanni »

Just wanted to register and thank for the tips!
I'm using Fedora 20, in a intel Atom 1,6ghz mini laptop attached to 19" dell lcd screen.
My USB gamepad is Tesun dualshock (playstation lookalike)
After i unchecked "synchronize with sound" from the options the input lag was cut to half. Thou still not comparable to keyboard..
When using keyboard I get "zero" lag!

Now Super mario world is playable, so thanks dudes!

Any further advice?