Gamepad not working in games (mapping works!)

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
p2tu
Snes9x White Belt

Gamepad not working in games (mapping works!)

Post by p2tu »

I have generic noname USB gamepad.
It works in windows (win7 64) and in other games that support gamepad.

It even works when mapping snes9x 1.51 controls but it wont work when I enter game...
I have also tried with snes9x 1.53, no luck.

Any suggestions, ideas?
Or I have to buy Logitech gamepad? :)
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Is input set to "Use SNES Joypad(s)"? Is the Joypad enabled (in the input configuration)? Does it work with bound keyboard buttons?
p2tu
Snes9x White Belt

Post by p2tu »

Yes, yes and yes.

I just tried to disable nod32 and still no effect.
I have also tried compatibility mode xp sp3, vista, run as administrator.
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Could you upload your snes9x.conf file somewhere?
p2tu
Snes9x White Belt

Post by p2tu »

OV2

Post by OV2 »

You've mapped your controller to Joypad 3 - is that what you want? You have to use Joypad 1 for normal SNES games.

If you indeed want to use it as Joypad 3 (eg. for player 3 in Bomberman) you'll have to select "Use Super Multitap (5-Player)", otherwise only two Joypads will be used.
p2tu
Snes9x White Belt

Post by p2tu »

Unbelievable! Thank you! As Joypad 1 it's working!

I already tried VirtuaNES and there controller 3 is working as gamepad, strange? :)

Anyway, thank you again and I hope it will help others too :)
OV2

Post by OV2 »

The "Joypads" in Snes9x represent the real SNES joypads. So joypad 1 is the one in the left controller port, joypad 2 is the on on the right, and later ones are those plugged into a multitap. If you map your gamepad to joypad 3, it is now one of those plugged into the multitap - thus most snes games do not react to its button presses.
chrizdekok
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Gamepad not working in games (mapping works!)

Post by chrizdekok »

I also have a Xbox360 controller and the solution above didn't work BUT the problem was quite similar. The exact opposite to be more precise :)
Map the buttons of gamepad 3 instead of gamepad 1.
babosayshi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by babosayshi »

chrizdekok wrote:I also have a Xbox360 controller and the solution above didn't work BUT the problem was quite similar. The exact opposite to be more precise :)
Map the buttons of gamepad 3 instead of gamepad 1.
@hank you so much! I signed up just to say that because I had no idea how to get my 360 controller to work. Thanks!!!
knuckles2007
Snes9x White Belt

Post by knuckles2007 »

same as others, but i use an afterglow xbox 360 game controller. the mapping works but the games don't recognize the controller. though it works with other emulators. just not snes9x. and i really do enjoy 9x and not the other emulators.
kek
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kek »

knuckles2007 wrote:same as others, but i use an afterglow xbox 360 game controller. the mapping works but the games don't recognize the controller. though it works with other emulators. just not snes9x. and i really do enjoy 9x and not the other emulators.
If you are using Linux, the following steps solved my problem viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6837#p52259
Sweeet!
FlameGauge
Snes9x White Belt

Post by FlameGauge »

I'm having this problem to. I'm using a PowerA ps3 controller and nothing iv read anywhere has worked. plz halp
jthedj
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jthedj »

so I'm running a mac and 1.53 version,
if i map the 3rd controller it controls 1P as well as 1 control controls 1P. control 2 doesn't do anything using on multi tap and justifiers single and dual ports. is this a code problem or am i useless???
Doman
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Doman »

Downloaded snes9x on windows 10, controller works, but isn't registering.
it automatically configures to joypad 1, so i tried changing to joypad 3, but whenever i try, it doesn't seem to allow me, because I'llchange it and then when i go back into inout settings, it's back at joypad 1. any ideas?
thcmagus
Snes9x White Belt

Post by thcmagus »

+1 for chrizdekok. Configuring the device as joypad 3 worked for me.
Nachtklavier
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Nachtklavier »

Using the 64 bit runtime of Snes9x on Windows 10 I encountered the same problem - mapping works, but I didn't get it to work within games.
I then switched to the 32 bit runtime and it worked out of the box.
MallocArray
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MallocArray »

@Nachtklavier Thank you for the tip on the x86 version vs x64.

I'm using Win 10 x64 with Xbox 360 wireless controller and while I could map the buttons for either Joy1 or Joy3, neither would actually work in a game. Changing over to the win32 x86 version I could still map and it worked perfectly as Joy1.
jessvass1973
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jessvass1973 »

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum to see if anyone can shed any light on my issue. I have an autistic 9 year old son and have purchased him a generic controller from Amazon.
The link to the controller is here.....https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
I run Windows 10 64 bit edition and my little boys laptop runs windows 7 64 bit. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of snes9x with no success.
I have tried changing the input configuration to joypad 3 but it changes back to 1 again. The gamepad shows up in devices on windows settings ok and allows
me to calibrate it. I have no idea what else I can do. Can anyone help at all please?

James
therazorsedge
Snes9x White Belt

Post by therazorsedge »

jessvass1973 wrote:I run Windows 10 64 bit edition and my little boys laptop runs windows 7 64 bit. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of snes9x with no success.
I have tried changing the input configuration to joypad 3 but it changes back to 1 again. The gamepad shows up in devices on windows settings ok and allows
me to calibrate it. I have no idea what else I can do. Can anyone help at all please?
I had a similar problem. Gamepad is seen as a HID-compliant device by Windows 10, and SNES9X will configure it as Joypad easily.

The application obviously receives input because the mapping menu responds to button presses on the gamepad. Once it is configured, however, SNES9X does not respond to any inputs.

I was able to resolve by changing the following option in the snes9x.conf file:

Code: Select all

Handler:Background        = ON         # on to detect keyboard hotkeys when in the background. May impact performance and decrease responsiveness.
The default was OFF. I have seen no issues with performance or responsiveness in spite of the warning.