SNES9x 1.52fix4 exiting full screen crash, UI bugged in FS.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Alopex
Snes9x White Belt

SNES9x 1.52fix4 exiting full screen crash, UI bugged in FS.

Post by Alopex »

Greetings.

I am returning to SNES9x after a long time thanks to that gorgeous SPC700 engine, and so far everything in terms of emulation seems good.. but i'm getting a bug that's pretty much wrecking it for me, as well as a few GUI niggles and I really hope someone can assist me.

My system specs:
Pentium 4 2.8ghz
Windows XP SP2
2GB RAM
HiS RadeonHD 3650 AGP
Realtek AC'97 audio.

I am using a CRT monitor. I can enter to true full-screen just fine, but whenever I try to return to windowed mode, it crashes, every time regardless of video settings and without even loading a game. I also cannot alt-tab out of full-screen without the prog becoming stuck in the background with no way to restore it.

Also, if I start out windowed and shift to full screen, once I press ESC and bring up the menu bar, it remains flickering on screen when I try to toggle it back off.

I did also have a problem with emulation randomly freezing for a few seconds during any game at all.. but just now think it might be due to having vsync and triple buffer enabled at the same time, will keep an eye on it.

One last thing, that rom info message on booting a game is really annoying, is there a way of disabling it without having to disabe ALL messages?

-Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Alopex on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

The fullscreen switch crash is a known issue and will be fixed in the next version. You can use this interim testbuild until then: http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... 8904#28904

As for the flashing menu bar: I can't reproduce it here. You are using DirectDraw, normal fullscreen and then toggling the menu?

The rom info message cannot be disabled without disabling all messages.
Alopex
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Alopex »

OV2 wrote:The fullscreen switch crash is a known issue and will be fixed in the next version. You can use this interim testbuild until then: http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... 8904#28904

As for the flashing menu bar: I can't reproduce it here. You are using DirectDraw, normal fullscreen and then toggling the menu?

The rom info message cannot be disabled without disabling all messages.
Thanks for the info and link, it does indeed resolve the windowing crashes.

I have no choice but to use DirectDraw. For some reason, instead of letting me access the menu, when I press ESC in full-screen under D3D it switches to windowed mode.

With the test build, the menu flickering issue remains. It always occurs after I shift from windowed to FS, but if I set SNES9x to start-up fullscreen, it doesn't.

Also, the menus themselves are extremely bugged for me even when they work, I'm assuming the menu bar is supposed to actually show when I press ESC? It doesn't, I have to click the top of the screen where the menu option should be to make it appear, and sometime it won't appear at all. If his happens, the prog gets stuck in the background if I try to Alt-Enter.

I'm running a 1024x768 72hz Desktop with Snes9X's FS output set to 640x480 32bit 60hz and Simple 2X if that helps.

Also, may I ask why you can't simply disable the rom info text? It doesn't happen on a real SNES and it's really annoying seeing it over a game's start-up. Unlike other messages, I don't even see why it's there in the first place when there's already a rom info option under the file menu for anyone who wishes to view it.
Alopex
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Alopex »

No one else is experiencing messed up menus in true fullscreen? :/