Snes9x Gamecube 'issues'

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
tilanaattori
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x Gamecube 'issues'

Post by tilanaattori »

First of all I'm very grateful for Snes9x Gamecube -port. This is a wonderful product and I'm amazed to see the level of implementation here - functionality, usability and overall feel is very professional. So, big thanks for everyone who has made this possible! But, I have still some (minor) issues, or more like feature requests to discuss about.. I am using version 4.5.2 of the emulator.

1) There are few usability glitches in the menus. Firstly, there's a small problem with consistency in the menus - on some screens 'B' button shortcuts cursor to 'escape from menu'-buttons (like Close etc), on others it doesn't. This can be sometimes frustrating, especially for product this good. Other minor design issue is the color scheme used to distinguish selected menu items from not selected - basic blue and yellow don't hold any information (for my eyes) about importance - other color should be more clearly dimmed.

2) One other slight problem is with Hori Digital Controller I am mainly using.. Hori doesn't have the C-stick, so I cannot access the main menu with that controller. Thankfully this has been thought out so that I can access menu with controller in another port, if it happens to be basic GC-controller. But it would still be much more convenient if the emulator would recognize (if this is even physically possible?) the controller, and map menu access to Z-button for that controller.. Or at least the menu button could be user-selectable, so I could map it for myself. The problem with this one is understandable, since layout differs a bit from GC - this means that the controller has to be recognized by the emulator to achieve full support (Hori has real 'select' button, so Z is not needed, but normal GC-controller needs Z for select).

Rest of my problems are purely ROM-related - I hope I'm not breaking any board rules by discussing about them..

3) First, Earthworm Jim 2 crashes before the actual game in the demo where Jim plays accordion. I remember this ROM being crappy on the computer version too, at least soundwise, compared to my original SNES version, but at least it played. Secondly, and this is worse for me as this game is much more important to me, Super Mario World 2 plays slowly - even sounds stutter somewhat because of this. Like this it is, in my opinion, completely unplayable.
Are these two problems ROM related, or emulator related? I quess I'm asking if anyone has been able to play these correctly on Gamecube - to be specific here for the rules, I'm not requesting these ROMs, just asking if there might exist versions of these that work correctly on Gamecube.

Thank you for your interest and (hopefully) replies. I'm sorry if these topics have already been discussed, I was unable to find anything on these with search.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

First of all: issues regarding the Wii/GC port of snes9x should go to its maintainer (http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/)

As for the game issues: Earthworm Jim 2 is a known issue, it has since been fixed and will probably be in the next snes9x-gx release.
SMW2 is a very demanding game, it might be that the gamecube simply does not have enough processing power.
tilanaattori
Snes9x White Belt

Post by tilanaattori »

OV2 wrote: First of all: issues regarding the Wii/GC port of snes9x should go to its maintainer (http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/)
Thanks for correcting, and for the url also! Tons of interesting information there. Now I just have to find time to post these issues (which are not posted already, as many are) there..
OV2 wrote:As for the game issues: Earthworm Jim 2 is a known issue, it has since been fixed and will probably be in the next snes9x-gx release.
This is good news!
OV2 wrote:SMW2 is a very demanding game, it might be that the gamecube simply does not have enough processing power.
I was afraid this would be the problem, but it is still somewhat hard to believe that it cannot be improved.. Seems this has been reported on the project's page also, but the maintainer cannot do anything about it. The worst part is of course that someone said it worked fine on some other build..
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

OV2 wrote:First of all: issues regarding the Wii/GC port of snes9x should go to its maintainer (http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/)
Actually, IIRC we do support the ports... all the creator of snes9x-gx has to do is speak to Ryan and he can get access to the snes9x SVN.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley