About netplay in general

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Zpyke
Snes9x White Belt

About netplay in general

Post by Zpyke »

I was wondering if that 4 year old post about netplay no longer being a feature is still in effect or not.

I'm trying to find out if netplay just isn't supported anymore, or if I'm doing something wrong, since I can't get netplay to work on emulators like Kega Fusion and others with similar netplay.

If it is me, is there some step I'm missing between just loading the game and starting netplay up? Like maybe a VPN or port forwarding a certain port (I have a port I already use for this sort of thing, so I do have a few open for these sort of things.)?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Netplay is supported but is still beta. It's more designed for LAN play rather than over the internet.

For the internet you have three options:

1. Use ZSNES and zbattle.net for online play.
2. Use Doom Connector and ZSNES.
3. Use Hamachi and make a VPN and use SNES9x.

Also both you and the client must have the exact same ROM and same versions of Snes9x.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Zpyke
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Zpyke »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Netplay is supported but is still beta. It's more designed for LAN play rather than over the internet.

Also both you and the client must have the exact same ROM and same versions of Snes9x.
We use the same ROM's, so that's not the issue.

I've been meaning to look into Hamachi, but just haven't gotten around to it just yet. It's definitely on the to-do list now.

As for ZSNES, unless the latest version (v1.51, I believe.) has no netplay, netplay is greyed out for me. I'm not sure if it's me or if I'm just not doing something right, but I can't use ZSNES for netplay.

I don't know what Doom Connector is, but I'll look into it. Sounds like Classic Gaming Arena, though, and I couldn't figure out how to use that for ZSNES either.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yeah, I think within the last 4-5 years netplay really hasn't been an official option on any SNES emulator.

In any case, you'd want Snes9X v1.4x (forgot the max version) for netplay, and ZSNES 1.42n for netplay.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Zpyke
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Zpyke »

adventure_of_link wrote:Yeah, I think within the last 4-5 years netplay really hasn't been an official option on any SNES emulator.

In any case, you'd want Snes9X v1.4x (forgot the max version) for netplay, and ZSNES 1.42n for netplay.
The latest 9x that I have is v1.52. I guess an older version of Snes9x and ZSNES is required for netplay?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Zpyke wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:Netplay is supported but is still beta. It's more designed for LAN play rather than over the internet.

We use the same ROM's, so that's not the issue.

I've been meaning to look into Hamachi, but just haven't gotten around to it just yet. It's definitely on the to-do list now.

As for ZSNES, unless the latest version (v1.51, I believe.) has no netplay, netplay is greyed out for me. I'm not sure if it's me or if I'm just not doing something right, but I can't use ZSNES for netplay.

I don't know what Doom Connector is, but I'll look into it. Sounds like Classic Gaming Arena, though, and I couldn't figure out how to use that for ZSNES either.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that 1.51 has netplay DISABLED. You need to use a older verison like 1.43 or 1.41 (the two most common)
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
Zpyke
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Zpyke »

If all goes well today, I'll try out Hamachi. If not, tomorrow for sure. Doom Connecter might be a nice back-up plan, but I'm not sure it works with Kega Fusion too (For some reason, all emulators except Gens works on my girlfriend's computer.).
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Doom Connector doesn't support anything else Emulator related (unless you count numerous Doom Source ports, Heretic, Hexen, Strife and Quake 1 & 2.) :P
Zpyke
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Zpyke »

Well, Hamachi didn't help. It says there's an error in connecting between us. I cannot ping my girlfriend's computer, and on her end it says I'm connecting endlessly. The VPN won't connect.

Not too much into playing Doom multi-player, so Doom Connector won't help me. Any other suggestions? =/
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Are either of you behind firewalls? Security settings will kill this sort of thing. What types of computers and connections do you guys have?
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Zpyke
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Zpyke »

kolechovski wrote:Are either of you behind firewalls? Security settings will kill this sort of thing. What types of computers and connections do you guys have?
My girlfriend has XP while I have Vista. Both are capable of playing any emulator save PS2 on her computer. We have Avast anti-virus, but we made sure it's not conflicting when we play. No real firewall besides spybot, and we make it silent when we play games.

I would love to use Snes9x or ZSNES for netplay, because I'm kind of sick of Kaillera's issues, and Snes9k crashes often. Maybe whatever is causing Gens emulators to crash on my girlfriend's computer is also causing a conflict with netplay? Because the only Gens and any unofficial Gens that works on her computer are the ones without Kaillera or netplay.
SovKa
Snes9x White Belt

Post by SovKa »

Screw Kaillera in the next version! )))
Standard netplay sucks and needs refinement.
And kaillera clear and easy to use.
Until now, no normal emulator with support for netplay.
8)
Last edited by SovKa on Sun May 01, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
007_
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 007_ »

It would be cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a version 0.09 snes9k truth is very old
It would be nice to update it but the developers disappeared and could not find.
At 1.53 netplay me not working and would kaillera case was different.
Sorry but do not speak English
goof001
Snes9x White Belt

Post by goof001 »

seems that the netplay doesn't work at version 1.53 anymore.

It says: " Unable to look up server's IP address from hostname. Unknown hostname or may be your nameserver isn't set up correctly?"

when i switch back to 1.51 it works without problems.
seems to be a client problem because 1.51 client -> 1.53 server works
1.53 client -> 1.53 server doesn't work

btw using win7 on both systems.
SovKa
Snes9x White Belt

Post by SovKa »

I have a reason too.
Online snes9 sucks it would be better done through kailera online game.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Online SNES9x sucks because it's not a priority. That's probably not going to change any time soon. There's too much work that has to be done to get functional netplay working.
goebish
Snes9x White Belt

Post by goebish »

Hi, I'm snes9k author.
I did not know there was still an interest for snes online gaming.
I may have a look at the latest sources and try to compile them with "kaillera inside".
Play Snes online with Snes9K !
http://goebish.free.fr/snes9k
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

goebish wrote:Hi, I'm snes9k author.
I did not know there was still an interest for snes online gaming.
I may have a look at the latest sources and try to compile them with "kaillera inside".
welcome aboard goebish!

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
goebish
Snes9x White Belt

Post by goebish »

I did work on the sources last week end, got it working:
http://twitpic.com/6dnmso

It's based on snes9x 1.53, despite the screenshot saying 1.43, final version will be named snes9k 2011.

Had to drop XAudio2 sound output because I couldn't get it to work when launching the ROM from my kaillera thread :roll:, but FMOD output is working fine.

There are still some issues to fix but globally it's working !

Should be released in 1 or 2 weeks, when issues are fixed and a friend make a new download page.
Play Snes online with Snes9K !
http://goebish.free.fr/snes9k
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

goebish wrote:Thanks :)

I did work on the sources last week end, got it working:
http://twitpic.com/6dnmso

It's based on snes9x 1.53, despite the screenshot saying 1.43, final version will be named snes9k 2011.

Had to drop XAudio2 sound output because I couldn't get it to work when launching the ROM from my kaillera thread :roll:, but FMOD output is working fine.

There are still some issues to fix but globally it's working !

Should be released in 1 or 2 weeks, when issues are fixed and a friend make a new download page.
I can also mirror it on my site as well, if you'd like.