Direct3d randomly stops working, DirectDraw laggy

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
gamepadded
Snes9x White Belt

Direct3d randomly stops working, DirectDraw laggy

Post by gamepadded »

I was playing some Chrono Trigger on version 1.52 after reading of 1.51's lack of support for diagonal movement... the update saved me from wasting $30 on another controller, but Saturday I try to open my minimized Snes9x window and there's no display. I heard the overworld theme, but then just made a save state and tried to google my problem.

Apparently, people have had Direct3D fail on them and either have no display or 9x wouldn't start up at all! I seem to have a unique problem, because I used 3d with 1.51 and it worked fine. I don't get why it would randomly fail....
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Was Windows Update running in the background? If WU installs new GFX card drivers, then you'll need to reboot before D3D/DD apps will work again.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
gamepadded
Snes9x White Belt

Post by gamepadded »

I turned auto updates off and I manually install my new drivers.

I have XP, running on 512 MB of RAM (!!!) with an NVidia 7300 LE. Decent card... should I get new drivers?

ROM info:

Name: CHRONO TRIGGER
Speed: 31/FastROM
ROM Map: HiROM
Type: 02
Kart contents: ROM+RAM+BAT
Header ROM Size: 32Mbits
Calculated ROM Size: 32 Mbits
SRAM size: 64Kbits (64Kbit)
Actual Checksum: 788C
Header Checksum: 788C
Header Checksum Compliment: 8773
Output: NTSC 60Hz
CRC32: 2D206BF7
Licensee: Unknown Company
ROM Version: 1.0
Region: USA/Canada

Now D3D works, but Snes9X will not recognize any keystroke or buttons on my controller, so I cannot navigate at all within the game.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Hmmm, I would visit nvidia's website and get the latest drivers for your GFX card.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!