Snes9x 1.52 question

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
bullethead2202
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x 1.52 question

Post by bullethead2202 »

With most emulators, when you record things they desync. Not soundwise but it skips a frame. That skipped frame is always very important, because without it the whole video gets messed up. In a different version of snes9x 1.51, there was a version called snes9x 1.51-rr, which fixed that problem.
I'm just wondering if 1.52 has a fixed rerecord function too.
franpa
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by franpa »

Check tasvideos.org and see if they have a Rerecording build based off of v1.52 yet.
Windows 10 x64, Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Gamer 1070Ti, Integrated Audio, Corsair AX760 power supply.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Are they that afraid to use an updated version of Snes9x or what?
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

the_randomizer wrote:Are they that afraid to use an updated version of Snes9x or what?
Actually, they PREFER 1.43 or 1.51, they don't like 1.52...
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

Because 1.43 and 1.51 have been out so long, most available videos target those versions. The movie files are highly version-specific, with any timing changes throwing the movies off completely.

A new release for users means having to keep yet another emulator on your system to ensure videos are played on the same version they were made. For the developers, there needs to be separate code trees to keep all the individual versions up to date. The snes9x-rr guys probably just think the detriments of adding another release outweigh the benefits.
Moonrise
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Moonrise »

I wonder if there are plans though. Browsing the snes9x-rr svn, I notice that there's now a 1.52 branch, although they haven't done much with it. It seems that snes9x 1.52 doesn't support everything TASers (more experienced ones, at least) might want at the moment. It doesn't support Lua scripting, for example, which is invaluable for luck manipulation.
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Do you mean the one on this site, or the one at tasvideos.org?

Either way, I think to keep the numbers of different versions small, there needs to be a huge amount of collaboration among the people at snes9x and tasvideos.org, as well as perhaps any other mega-emulator places invovled with such power projects. All features can then be decided upon and worked toward, and the next version put out can take care of all of these issues, and become another standard in movie-making, as they should be the current version for quite a while (and avoid the too-many-small-versions-to-handle problem). At least, that's what I'd recommend.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Moonrise
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Moonrise »

I mean the subversion repsitory at google code. It looks like they just recently made a bunch of changes to better support rerecording in 1.52:
https://code.google.com/p/snes9x-rr/source/list
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You know, I think we should try and merge Snes9x-rr with Snes9x, we'd have more programmers here and we could collaborate here and work together.

Just a thought.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

the rr devs rarely have any desire to collaborate.
gocha
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by gocha »

I'm very happy if you official developers import my fixes/additions from rerecording version.

... since I need to apply the same fix every time the official version gets updated.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

gocha wrote:I'm very happy if you official developers import my fixes/additions from rerecording version.

... since I need to apply the same fix every time the official version gets updated.
Yikes. From reading over some recent commits, it appears you're directly copying GPL code into Snes9x. The GPL has restrictions that make this illegal. As such, if you ever want to get some of those changes in, you'll need to make sure it's at least LGPL, which permits inclusion so long as the source and modifications are distributed therein, or is additionally licensed by the original authors under the Snes9x license.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Does anyone actually USE Snes9x re-recording? And I thought the Zsnes developers were reluctant to release a new version.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Moonrise
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Moonrise »

the_randomizer wrote:Does anyone actually USE Snes9x re-recording? And I thought the Zsnes developers were reluctant to release a new version.
With one exception, all TASes at TASvideos have been made with either snes9x-rr 1.43 or snes9x-rr 1.51. The one exception is a Run Saber TAS made with ZSNES, but most people use snes9x-rr because it has more features useful for TASing and because it's less prone to desyncs.
Since 1.52 has more accurate sound emulation, I'd love to see a version of 1.52 with the same TASing features as 1.43/1.51
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

epman5g wrote:
the_randomizer wrote:only problem I found with the snes9x re-recording versions is that you must run them under recent versions of Windows as they won't work under Win9x. need a minimum of Win2000, XP or greater to use snes9x-rr.
The same is true for normal snes9x - it's a limitation of Visual Studio 2008.
gocha
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by gocha »

BearOso wrote:Yikes. From reading over some recent commits, it appears you're directly copying GPL code into Snes9x.
You said about Anti-Grain Geometry (AGG) library, right?
I've replaced agg-2.5 (GPL) by agg-2.4 (BSD-licensed) now.

By the way, I wonder how a developer can join the official snes9x development project. Though I'm so fickle and my code changes are often too experimental to commit to the official project directly, I've been interested how I can join dev team for a long time.

Anyway, I'd like to collaborate with the official dev team as far as possible.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

gocha wrote:
BearOso wrote:Yikes. From reading over some recent commits, it appears you're directly copying GPL code into Snes9x.
You said about Anti-Grain Geometry (AGG) library, right?
I've replaced agg-2.5 (GPL) by agg-2.4 (BSD-licensed) now.

By the way, I wonder how a developer can join the official snes9x development project. Though I'm so fickle and my code changes are often too experimental to commit to the official project directly, I've been interested how I can join dev team for a long time.

Anyway, I'd like to collaborate with the official dev team as far as possible.
I'd first start with speaking to Ryan. Then maybe get into collabaration with BearOso, OV2, zones, etc. Honestly, it'd be nice to get some fresh, new faces into the Snes9X project; as/is, there's a few maintainers now, and development is sloooooow.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
gocha
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by gocha »

adventure_of_link wrote:I'd first start with speaking to Ryan.
I sent him a PM.
Ryan wrote:I would post what you have and want to do in the public dev forum and see what the current devs think. I don't really control the coding aspect of Snes9x, just the site and forums.
So, I come back to this forum.

What I want to do are:
Merge fixes/features/improvements from snes9x-rr
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-rr/updates/list
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x151-rere ... dates/list
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x143-rere ... dates/list

In particular:
- fix desync issue
- add lua scripting engine
- add lag counter display
- give "finished" state for movie to prevent closing a movie unintentionally, while rerecording it (-> desmume's method)
- provide a movie-free frame counter display
- windows: add new RAM Watch and RAM Search window
- windows: add memory viewer window
- windows: fix historical bugs of d-pad autofire
- windows: drag and drop support
- windows: fix incomplete hi-res avi dumping
- windows: fix avi audio desync issue (don't force 48kHz)
- maybe fix for other historical problems (keyup handling for joypad device?, improve hotkey setting window...)
Hmm, there must be more but I cannot remember at a time... oh well,
(some of these are already done on snes9x-152 branch in snes9x-rr project. )
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

gocha wrote: So, I come back to this forum.

What I want to do are:
Merge fixes/features/improvements from snes9x-rr
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-rr/updates/list
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x151-rere ... dates/list
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x143-rere ... dates/list

In particular:
- fix desync issue
- add lua scripting engine
- add lag counter display
- give "finished" state for movie to prevent closing a movie unintentionally, while rerecording it (-> desmume's method)
- provide a movie-free frame counter display
- windows: add new RAM Watch and RAM Search window
- windows: add memory viewer window
- windows: fix historical bugs of d-pad autofire
- windows: drag and drop support
- windows: fix incomplete hi-res avi dumping
- windows: fix avi audio desync issue (don't force 48kHz)
- maybe fix for other historical problems (keyup handling for joypad device?, improve hotkey setting window...)
Hmm, there must be more but I cannot remember at a time... oh well,
(some of these are already done on snes9x-152 branch in snes9x-rr project. )
What you need to do is split this into source patches that can be reviewed and merged.

Clone the respective git repository at:
http://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x
and generate patches using "git format-patch" or even just "git diff" for each group of related changes.

As for the Lua support, you're not going to get that into mainline Snes9x unless there's a way to disable it at compile-time. Not all ports can or want to use Lua.
gocha
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by gocha »

BearOso wrote:What you need to do is split this into source patches that can be reviewed and merged.

Clone the respective git repository at:
http://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x
and generate patches using "git format-patch" or even just "git diff" for each group of related changes.
Thank you, BearOso. I will try.