Various high-quality scalers and performance

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
raptir
Snes9x White Belt

Various high-quality scalers and performance

Post by raptir »

I'm using snes9x on my laptop. It's certainly not a gaming machine. I have an SU7300 (1.3 GHz Core2Duo), Intel GMA 4500MHD and 4GB of RAM. It uses a 1366x768 display. I have snes9x set to display at 1024x768. It looks okay, but a little fuzzy. I was playing around with some of the image processing filters, and I'm wondering what people would recommend just to sharpen things up a little yet not cause a performance hit on my system.

Also, I find it hard to differentiate between my computer slowing the game down and the game just lagging (as with games like LttP, which has times that it slowed down on the real console). Is there any way to determine what's lag from using a processing filter that taxes my system and what's lag from snes9x trying to emulate a real SNES' slowdown?

Thanks.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Your CPU should have no problems with the 2x filters and I'd guess even the 3x filters should be possible.

To check for slowdown you can either use some software to display the fps (e.g. Fraps) or you can set Frame Skipping to automatic (with at least 1 max skipped frames) and enable "Show Frame Rate". If this stays at 58/60 or 59/60 then you have no emulation slowdown.
raptir
Snes9x White Belt

Post by raptir »

Great. Thanks for the quick reply. I know this is off my topic, but I don't want to make a new post just for this. The correct aspect ratio setting for snes9x is 4:3 if I'm playing it on my PC, correct?
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

That depends on your preference. With 4:3 you get the AR as it would look on your tv, 8:7 gives you the pixels as the SNES produces them.
raptir
Snes9x White Belt

Post by raptir »

So, 4:3 is the way it was meant to be viewed?
franpa
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by franpa »

Correct.
Windows 10 x64, Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Gamer 1070Ti, Integrated Audio, Corsair AX760 power supply.
raptir
Snes9x White Belt

Post by raptir »

Sorry to bump my old topic, but I figure it's better than making a new one.

I finally got around to playing with the scalers. If I set frameskip to auto and enable hq2x, the game starts to lag down to ~30FPS. If I disable frameskip, but leave hq2x on, the game seems to perform fine at 60fps with no noticeable slowdown. Any idea what could be causing it to run so slowly with framskip on?