Just a small question.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Snes9x will do this if you load a different ROM while another is running. TO prevent this from happening, close Snes9x then reopen it to load a different ROM.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

To be honest, I have no idea what they are for, but I do notice they tend to make games load/reset faster when the *.OOPS files are present.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
kaenm
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kaenm »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:To be honest, I have no idea what they are for, but I do notice they tend to make games load/reset faster when the *.OOPS files are present.
According to the docs, these are made in certain cases or when you (for example) interrupt progress without having saved state in a long time. The oops file is basically an auto-save so you won't potentially lose all that progress.

I agree though -- the file extension makes it sound like a crash dump or something.
kaenm
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kaenm »

PS -

PLEASE write a useful, descriptive subject line next time (and every time) you ever make a post on any forum. :]
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

An .oops file is created if you reset the game more than 5 minutes after the last freeze or reset. As kaenm pointed out it is basically an auto-save feature. It is somewhat useless to create one for the new rom when loading a new file - maybe we can do something about that in the next version.

You can turn it off in the newest windows version by adding

Code: Select all

DontSaveOopsSnapshot      = TRUE
to the [Settings] section of the config file.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

So that's what they're for. Cool! :D
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

kaenm wrote:PLEASE write a useful, descriptive subject line next time (and every time) you ever make a post on any forum. :]
Writing a description of the problem in the OP is fine too. Which he did that.

So, no harm, no foul. PLEASE leave the moderation to the moderators/admins. :|

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

"PLEASE write a useful, descriptive subject line next time (and every time) you ever make a post on any forum. :]"

Actually, that ain't moderation, but a useful suggestion anybody should follow when making topics on any forum, anywhere. Part of Forums 101 teachings, so I see no harm with his suggestion.

As for the OOPS files, I can understand it in the event of a reset at most, but indeed, upon loading a new ROM really ain't necessary, as it's hard to do that by accident. And this leaves me with another set of questions about 1.52, but I'll edit the post where I already inquire about that version.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
kaenm
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kaenm »

adventure_of_link wrote:Writing a description of the problem in the OP is fine too. Which he did that.

So, no harm, no foul. PLEASE leave the moderation to the moderators/admins. :|
Actually it's extremely poor form (indeed, a "foul") to use "Question" or "Help!" or any other 100% content-free subject line, as was done here with "Just a small question". How can anyone know if the post is relevant to their search, or if they will be able to answer any request for help contained within, if the subject line has ZERO information? They won't, and will be forced to click-through in order to discover what the post is actually about. As kolechovski points out, this is just Forums 101.

If making that friendly suggestion to the OP as I did offended someone, I apologize, though I'm not sure why it would as it's just some simple, 100% sound advice. (I even gave it with a smile! XD)
kolechovski wrote:Actually, that ain't moderation, but a useful suggestion anybody should follow...
Thanks for backing me up :).
Cheers.