Heavy Mode7 Bug in Secret of Mana

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
PapermanZero
Snes9x White Belt

Heavy Mode7 Bug in Secret of Mana

Post by PapermanZero »

Start Secret of Mana and watch the whole intro.
During the scene, where the screen will fly over the world, the textures/sprites of the Mode7-World are heavy shaking and flickering.

Tested with Secret of Mana (G) and the newest windows version (1.52) with fix. I believe this will also influence the gameplay (if you have to travel with the dragon) and makes secret of mana unplayable with 1.52.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

It's a known problem in 1.52 (http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4550).

Until the next version is released you can start snes9x with "-hdmatiming 84" and it should no longer flicker. Note that any savestates made without the command line switch will still flicker with the switch present.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Just paste this quick little batch I made for you into a txt file and rename it to a .bat.

Code: Select all

@echo off
echo Loading Snes9x with hdmatiming set to 84...
snes9x -hdatiming 84
echo Exiting...
exit
Make sure it's the same folder as Snes9x.exe.
Last edited by Camo_Yoshi on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Just paste this quick little batch I made for you into a txt file and rename it to a .bat.

Code: Select all

@echo off
echo Loading Snes9x with hdatiming set to 84...
snes9x -hdatiming 84
echo Exiting...
exit
Make sure it's the same folder as Snes9x.exe.
Does the batch file need to be named anything specific? And the number "84" doesn't seem to have any effect...Am I doing something wrong, or does that number need to be changed?
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

SORRY, FOUND A TYPO! XD

No, it doesn't need to be named anything specific unless you're trying to run it from the command line, in which case I recommend naming it something else.

This is for Secret of Mana specifically, so if you want to run another ROM, you'll probably need to close snes9x and then reopen it.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Jedman
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jedman »

Sorry how do I get this to work?

I tried placing the file into the snes9x folder but its not working.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

Use the test build posted at the bottom of: http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4650.
Jedman
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jedman »

works great. thanks