AVI recording fix for v1.51 (WinXP) ?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
dw0914
Snes9x White Belt

AVI recording fix for v1.51 (WinXP) ?

Post by dw0914 »

Hi, so, here's the situation, in detail so I don't miss anything important:

1. I was using some (unknown) version of SNES9x that I found online awhile ago. Presumably it was v1.51 for Windows (I'll explain why, in a bit).
2. I regularly recorded movies, then replayed them to record AVI's. I just pieced together a pretty awesome movie that I had not yet saved as an AVI.
3. I wanted to watch a similar movie from TASvideos, so I downloaded their movie file and found out that apparently each version of SNES9x speaks a foreign language to each other; the movie would not play at all, stating that it was the wrong version (I needed 1.43).
4. In my dismay over the lack of backward compatibility, I downloaded another SNES9x emulator (1.43) which overwrote my old one -- I figured I could get the old one back at a later date if necessary.
5. When I went back to record my original movie, mentioned in #2 above, I found that 1.43 (surprise) could not read the movie file. I grabbed v1.52 online and got similar errors from trying to read the movie.
6. I finally found that v1.51 COULD read my movie file (!); unfortunately any time I try to record an AVI with the newly downloaded v1.51, SNES9x.exe crashes immediately (standard Windows program crash window), regardless of whether or not I'm playing back a movie.
7. I found that other users had a similar problem with 1.52, which they remedied by downloading a fixed version of 1.52. I am wondering if there's a fixed version of 1.51.

In all honesty, I never thought it'd be this difficult to simply get back the emulator that I had been using. If it helps to know this... for whatever reason, the 1.51 and 1.52 emulators that I've downloaded recently from the popular links, do not start in Fullscreen mode (i.e. they take up my screen but leave the Windows taskbar visible), whereas the version of SNES9x that I had been using with no problems (in #1 and #2 above) started in fullscreen by default (to the best of my knowledge, anyway).

Other stuff... as already stated in topic, I'm using Windows XP, and my hardware more than passes the basic sanity checks. Honestly, I used whatever version of SNES9x without a hitch whatsoever (recording movies and then recording AVI's) until I overwrote it with 1.43, not realizing that I would need to get it back due to the insane lack of compatibility between versions, nor that it would be so difficult to do so.

Thanks in advance for the help, and though it probably goes without saying, please add movie playback reverse-compatibility to the wishlist for future SNES9x fixes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with 3+ versions of a single emulator on my computer just so I can read everyone's movie files.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

There is no fixed version of 1.51. In the forum, search for "Snes9x 1.52fix4 download".
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
dw0914
Snes9x White Belt

Post by dw0914 »

Certainly, but the thing is, I mentioned the fixed version of 1.52 in my original post, which means I already knew about and have downloaded it in the past. As mentioned in the original post, the long movie I created does not run on v1.52; it DID run properly on whatever version I had before I overwrote mine.

Basically, I need to find whatever version of SNES9x I used to have. I know it was more recent than 1.43, I know it was earlier than 1.52, and I know that the commonly accessible version of 1.51 will run my movie but crashes when I attempt to record AVI's. I can only assume I had a different version of 1.51 because I never used to have any trouble recording AVI's in the past.

Any ideas as to what version I might've had? As stated, my movie is not compatible with v1.52 so please do not refer me to the 1.52 fix. Thanks.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

I'm not aware of an avi-recording problem in 1.51 - the fix in 1.52 was for an issue that was introduced in the new version.

As for 1.51 releases, I only know of the following:
The official release
My d3d modification
Gocha's rerecording modification

Since Gocha's version targets the creation/playback of TAS videos I'd suggest you try it first.
dw0914
Snes9x White Belt

Post by dw0914 »

Success. Much love.

I guess I should probably switch to recording my movies on something that can actually play TASvideos (i.e. 1.43)... but at least I was able to recover this movie.