Games are jittery/laggy + input lag.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Ch0b0
Snes9x White Belt

Games are jittery/laggy + input lag.

Post by Ch0b0 »

In some games like Super Mario World I notice that the game is sometimes jittery and that there feels to be some sort of minor, but perceivable input lag to the controls. The jitter is relatively minor but just enough to make precision difficult. Just watching mario jump in place is not smooth.

Both of these issues are absent from zsnes, but zsnes has trouble correctly rendering audio in this game.

I've tried Vsync + Triple Buffering and also simply forcing vsync off in my driver control panel.

I can rule out hardware being an issue, it's an i7 920 w/ a ATi 5870.

I'm new to zsnes so if I am being boneheaded and a simple setting will fix it I'd appreciate the help. I've tried quite a few settings, however.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Intel Speedstep technology can mess with the emulator, disable it when you run snes9x. Also make sure you're running snes9x 1.52 fix4, that's the latest version.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Ch0b0
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ch0b0 »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Intel Speedstep technology can mess with the emulator, disable it when you run snes9x. Also make sure you're running snes9x 1.52 fix4, that's the latest version.
It's already disabled and I'm using fix4. :(
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Intel Speedstep technology can mess with the emulator, disable it when you run snes9x. Also make sure you're running snes9x 1.52 fix4, that's the latest version.
not on an i7 it doesn't.....
and not on a core 2 either.

amd's cnq does though.
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Another thing is that zome games like that are a bit more CPU intensive. Other issues with accelerators can mess with that, but that sounds mostly like a video issue. Try playing with video settings and see if you can get a faster refresh rate.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Ch0b0
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ch0b0 »

kolechovski wrote:Another thing is that zome games like that are a bit more CPU intensive. Other issues with accelerators can mess with that, but that sounds mostly like a video issue. Try playing with video settings and see if you can get a faster refresh rate.
I use an LCD monitor so the only refresh rate is 60hz.

Now I'm having a problem with the emulator simply crashing randomly.
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Er, I should specify playing with the emulator's output rate, not your monitor's physical output rate. In the emulator's options, should be video options, which show the virtual Frames Per Second (you want 60, or at least a high enough number). Numbers below, especially combined with the other symptoms you had described, imply that your computer is low on resources (or is not allocating them properly for your emulator). In addition, software conflicts, like what is likely causing yoru crashing, just further shows the problems with compatibility.

For this stuff, most of what you can do is to shut down any other software running in the background. then, once in SNEs9X, try playing with all kidns of settings, from graphical modes, to sound output, etc, hopefully finding some setup that stops crashing. On this machine, I think I had to disable sound completely to lessen the rate of crashes significantly, while the old machine had no such problems (and both were Windows XP).

Hardware accelerators, and other configurations may also be playing a role in this mess.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

squall_leonhart69r wrote:
not on an i7 it doesn't.....
and not on a core 2 either.

amd's cnq does though.
On the Intel Atom it does.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!