Mac Controls Help!

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
kurtisboyd
Snes9x White Belt

Mac Controls Help!

Post by kurtisboyd »

Ok, well I am on a mac, and I am using DarwiinRemote to connect my wii remote and classic controller to my mac to play.

All the buttons I have set (such as up, down, left, right, start, select and I think L and R) work fine (I have mapped a letter of the keyboard to each button, so when I press UP on the classic controller, it makes the computer and the emulator think I am pressing up on the keyboard), the only buttons not working are A, B, X and Y.

I have tried setting them to various other keys, but I still can't seem to get the game to react to me pressing them.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

caoxueer1r
Snes9x White Belt

Post by caoxueer1r »

We had a number of close calls that day. When we rose, it was obviously late and we had to hurry so as not to miss breakfast; we knew the dining room staff was strict about closing at nine o'clock. Then, when we had been driving in the desert for nearly two hours
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

What the... Go away spambot. No one loves you.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
maintenance
Snes9x White Belt

Post by maintenance »

i had a similar question and didn't think I need to make a whole new thread for it.

i'm trying to get my PS3 dualshock controller working on my macbook (osx) for snes9x but it doesn't seem to work.

i installed the driver, when i plug in my controller into the usb it flashes, but when i go to configuration it just doesn't work. there's no feedback when you input the button so there's no way to know if its working or not.

i'm not sure if my method of configuration is wrong, or if this is something else. any help?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Try going to the Mac equivalent of Control Panel in Windows and look for Joystick devices, or something similar. If your gamepad isn't listed there, Snes9x won't detect it.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
maintenance
Snes9x White Belt

Post by maintenance »

i know what you mean, but i couldn't find an equivalent on my mac for some reason.

so instead i downloaded this:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16231

and it recognized the controller, and went back to snes9x and it worked. i have no idea if it actually had anything to do with it working, but, it works! i guess that's the important thing.

linking for anyone else having trouble.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

That's great! :) I have never used a Mac before, so I wouldn't know. :P
R. Kamidees
Snes9x White Belt

Post by R. Kamidees »

I am having a problem very similar to the first poster's. I am running DarwiinRemote 0.7/SNES9x 1.52 on a Macbook. DarwiinRemote detects my Wii remote and classic controller, as well as the button presses. I mapped the buttons to the keyboard and have gotten other programs (e.g., Firefox) respond to the controller. In SNES9x, I mapped the controls to the keyboard, and I am able to play my ROMs with the keyboard alone. But I cannot get SNES9x to respond to any button presses on the classic controller/Wiimote.

I have uninstalled+reinstalled both programs, removed+reconnected the Wiimote from my BT preferences pane, and still SNES9x will not react to the controller.

I feel like I've tried everything, so I'm giving up for now. Any suggestions are very welcome.
fangman
Snes9x White Belt

Post by fangman »

I'm having the same problem as R. Kamidees. It was working fine until I performed a system upgrade on my Macbook (10.6.3) - I'm not sure if it is linked or coincidental.

DarwiinRemote continues to detect my wiimote and classic controller, and I can use it to navigate browers and enter text data into other programs. It seems to be only Snes 9x that doesn't work with it.

Please help!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Is there any sort of program that is similar to Joy2Key for Mac?

What Joy2Key does is it takes input from controllers and translates it into keyboard input.
R. Kamidees
Snes9x White Belt

Post by R. Kamidees »

fangman wrote:It was working fine until I performed a system upgrade on my Macbook (10.6.3) - I'm not sure if it is linked or coincidental.
I think you are on to something here. There was a gap in time when I didn't touch either SNES 9x or DarwiinRemote, and there were two Snow Leopard updates in that stretch of time. It is very possible that one of these updates broke the functionality.
Camo_Yoshi wrote:Is there any sort of program that is similar to Joy2Key for Mac?
That is basically what DarwiinRemote does. But now I don't think this app is the issue.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

R. Kamidees wrote:
fangman wrote:It was working fine until I performed a system upgrade on my Macbook (10.6.3) - I'm not sure if it is linked or coincidental.
I think you are on to something here. There was a gap in time when I didn't touch either SNES 9x or DarwiinRemote, and there were two Snow Leopard updates in that stretch of time. It is very possible that one of these updates broke the functionality.
Does Apple have a changelog of their updates?
R. Kamidees
Snes9x White Belt

Post by R. Kamidees »

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4014

But I can't figure out what would have caused the functionality to break
kaenm
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kaenm »

R. Kamidees wrote:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4014

The fix having to do with "...the reliability of certain third-party USB devices." maybe? (I assume you plug the controller in via some USB device.)

Anyway, have you checked Console.app to see if there are any error messages being output? Open up Console.app, clear any previous output (if you want) and then start up the DarwiinRemote program (or plug in the controller or whatever the process is, I never play with a controller, keyboard keeps me happy :]) and see if any errors are output to the console. Hopefully there will be and hopefully they will be helpful. Let us know if you find anything.
R. Kamidees
Snes9x White Belt

Post by R. Kamidees »

kaenm wrote:
R. Kamidees wrote:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4014

The fix having to do with "...the reliability of certain third-party USB devices." maybe? (I assume you plug the controller in via some USB device.)
Nope, it the Wiimote and Classic Controller via BT. Plugging in a Logitech USB controller works fine.

Darwiin Remote doesn't give any applicable errors.
RSagmiller
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Mac Controls Help!

Post by RSagmiller »

Ok, I had the same issue but have resolved it.
You leave the Snes9x keyboard config alone,
you use the Darwin Remote Config in the posted image.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 2.22.24 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 2.22.24 AM.png (132.29 KiB) Viewed 46488 times
RSagmiller
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RSagmiller »

I didn't notice that I was missing the upper left and right configurations.

Please take note of the updated version.

The ZL and ZR settings are turbo up and turbo down, this is a personal preference.
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 5.23.48 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 5.23.48 AM.png (130.25 KiB) Viewed 46480 times
RSagmiller
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RSagmiller »

I apologize, i accidentally posted the last one without the finished picture.

This will be my last post on this.

select=tab
start=return

that covers everything now... i attempted to edit the last post after I noticed, and it would not allow me to.

Once again, my bad for all the posts, i shouldn't be working on this at 6am