Sound problem

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
dangerrock67
Snes9x White Belt

Sound problem

Post by dangerrock67 »

Hello folks,

On Windows 10 the snes9x will sometimes play back sounds as crackly or with poor quality and distorted. This almost always occurs after leaving the window with the game running in a minimized state for 30 minutes or more.

Usually I can toggle the full screen by pressing the Alt and Enter buttons rapidly and this will resolve what is, I assume, some kind of syncing issue (because the snes9x is a jukebox :/ haha). Recently, however, this wasn't doing the trick so I tried closing and restarting, but that didn't work either, along with resetting all the emulator options to default (I had it overclocking on the low setting).

SO, I ran the snes9x-64 application, opened the game I was playing (Secret of Mana, orig. ver.) and the sound problem was resolved. Then, I ran the non-64 bit snes9x application, and it also had resolved the sound issue. This is probably only an issue with the PC, not the snes9x itself, I believe, but every little bit helps when you're re-tooling things.
Noel_RPG
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Sound problem

Post by Noel_RPG »

sometimes it could be an issue with the Win10 OS where certain Win10 updates can screw up the sound
sometimes MS releases buggy updates for Win10, so removing those updates and hiding/blocking them with this tool from MS may help.

also check the audio drivers used on the PC. if they're old, try updating the audio drivers to a newer version which may resolve some audio problems.