FPS drops to what feels like 30fps seemingly randomly

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Legislacerator
Snes9x White Belt

FPS drops to what feels like 30fps seemingly randomly

Post by Legislacerator »

I only play Mega Man X, but when I'm playing the FPS will drop to what seems like <30 but the Snes9x still displays the game running at 60fps. I am 100% confident this is not in-game slowdown. The game will run at the same speed but the framerate will feel horrible. I truly can't figure out why/when this happens it feels completely random and it makes it almost impossible to enjoy. My CPU usage only sits at about 10% the entire time.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: FPS drops to what feels like 30fps seemingly randomly

Post by odditude »

MMX definitely bogs down at times on real hardware - why are you sure it's not that?
Legislacerator
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Legislacerator »

odditude wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:18 am MMX definitely bogs down at times on real hardware - why are you sure it's not that?
I speedrun the game. I've beaten it over 100 times, a majority of which were on original hardware. Found out that switching my monitor from 144hz to 60hz and enabling Vsync fixed the lag issues, but vsync added horrible input lag.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

that's a good reason!

if your monitor supports 59Hz modes, i've found that snes9x will do a marvelous job of running steadily without needing vsync. i generally run windowed, though - fullscreen sometimes adds a frame of lag on my setup (win10, geforce 9-series, HDTV via HDMI).