Discussion Regarding Xbox 1 Controller & Background Input Not Working

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
franpa
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Discussion Regarding Xbox 1 Controller & Background Input Not Working

Post by franpa »

https://discord.gg/cpax27 (Zelda: A Link to the Past Randomizer discord)
https://discordapp.com/channels/3078602 ... 7908120586 (This message explains the cause and a couple later messages explain a clunky work-around.)

Problem: Xbox One Controllers under Windows 10 don't support Snes9x's Background Input implementation.
Windows 10 x64, Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Gamer 1070Ti, Integrated Audio, Corsair AX760 power supply.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Discussion Regarding Xbox 1 Controller & Background Input Not Working

Post by odditude »

can you copy the relevant info so those without Discord accounts can see it?
franpa
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by franpa »

Chief#0025:
For those wondering, it seems that Windows 10 has gamepad support for all UWP (universal windows programs), which includes most of the browsers you'd use, and the home screen, and it's that support that is intercepting the background input before it ever reaches SNES9x... It doesn't seem that there's an easy way to disable that, but I'm sure someone here has the know-how to do so.

I assume that the reason Xbox 360 controllers don't have this issue is because they're older than Windows 10, where as the drivers for xBox One controllers were designed with this in mind.

otherTom#4512:
did a little research, it's definitely a driver-specific thing - snes9x reads input using plain Windows API stuff, the Xbox One driver only passes along background input if you use Xinput if you force the Xbox One controller to use the "HID-compliant game device" driver, background input works - but any other games you run won't see it as an Xbone controller

Chief#0025:
So how would i force that driver, so i could give it a shot
I only use it for this so that wouldn't be a problem at all

otherTom#4512:
open up Device Manager, expand "Human Interface Devices", right click "XINPUT compatible HID device", "Update driver", "Browse my computer", "Let me pick". should be three options, I tested "HID-compliant game controller". if you want to undo the change, same thing but update "HID-compliant game controller" and pick the XINPUT one

Chief#0025:
Hey, thanks! I had tried it earlier but didn't know it had to be the HID one. that definitely works
I cleaned up some of the dialogue so it's easier to understand the conversation.
Windows 10 x64, Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Gamer 1070Ti, Integrated Audio, Corsair AX760 power supply.
RocksInMyDryer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RocksInMyDryer »

Thanks! Been trying to troubleshoot this for weeks, worked perfectly!