Snes9x and 144 Hz monitors.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
JaleSwiftpaw
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x and 144 Hz monitors.

Post by JaleSwiftpaw »

I'm having a bit of an issue here. The title is self-explanatory: I recently bought a gaming monitor that outputs at 144 Hz and whenever I launch a game on Snes9x the game runs at 60 fps. No complaints there, I expect games to run at this rate, the issue here is the sound, it's high-pitched and choppy and I was wondering if there's a fix or a workaround for this or if is it a known bug? When I switch back to 60 Hz it plays normally, but I don't really want to have to change it back and forth between 60 Hz and 144 Hz. It's also worth mentioning this issue affects all video and audio modes (DirectDraw, Direct3D, OpenGL, DirectSound and XAudio2).

Here's a video comparing both modes: https://youtu.be/x8oyypeZQ64

Thank you in advance.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Re: Snes9x and 144 Hz monitors.

Post by Ryan »

Part of the issue, the static-y/choppy part sounds like an audio buffer issue. Try adjusting the buffer length and see how that helps. Not sure why the pitch would be altered like that though.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

What version are you using? Try the latest (1.60) if you're not already on that.
Otherwise you could try disabling "automatic input rate" in the sound options and setting it to 31950.
JaleSwiftpaw
Snes9x White Belt

Post by JaleSwiftpaw »

OV2 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:01 pm What version are you using? Try the latest (1.60) if you're not already on that.
Otherwise you could try disabling "automatic input rate" in the sound options and setting it to 31950.
Disabling automatic input rate and setting it to 31950 fixed it. Thanks.