Various troubles with SNES9X and Sierra

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Delsait
Snes9x White Belt

Various troubles with SNES9X and Sierra

Post by Delsait »

When I load my SNES9X 1.57 or earlier versions, it sometimes freezes and an issue that often happens is the either SRAMS or the .CHT files are not loaded.

Another issue with the .CHT files is they're often loaded incorrectly and I get the result in the attached file, resulting in the cheats no longer working.

I'm using a MAC OS Sierra version 10.12.6.

Is there anything I can do?
Attachments
SNES9X Cheats.png
SNES9X Cheats.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 21949 times
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: Various troubles with SNES9X and Sierra

Post by BearOso »

Delsait wrote:Is there anything I can do?
Quit switching back and forth between versions. When you go back to an old version it doesn't know about the new cheat format and tries to load it in binary form, and as a result it loads garbage. Then, because the old version knows how to format its own cheat file, when you go back to the new version it sees a perfectly valid old cheat file with garbage codes and loads it.
Delsait
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Delsait »

BearOso wrote:
Delsait wrote:Is there anything I can do?
Quit switching back and forth between versions. When you go back to an old version it doesn't know about the new cheat format and tries to load it in binary form, and as a result it loads garbage. Then, because the old version knows how to format its own cheat file, when you go back to the new version it sees a perfectly valid old cheat file with garbage codes and loads it.
Which version is too old. The version with my old cheats had the current snapshot freeze style. I'll also try some tests and see what I can find.

Any idea on the SNES9x freezing.
Delsait
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Delsait »

Checking again, I do have a 1.51 version, when I haven't used to load a game, the codes still don't work half the time.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

The cheat format changed in 1.56. Loading a game in a version older than that will corrupt any cheat files for that game that might have been created in a newer version. A corrupt cheat file may also cause freezes. If you simply must use an older version, you have to delete your .cht files.

Honestly, though, I don’t understand why you’re using old versions like that. There’s no logical justification for it.
Delsait
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Delsait »

BearOso wrote:The cheat format changed in 1.56. Loading a game in a version older than that will corrupt any cheat files for that game that might have been created in a newer version. A corrupt cheat file may also cause freezes. If you simply must use an older version, you have to delete your .cht files.

Honestly, though, I don’t understand why you’re using old versions like that. There’s no logical justification for it.
So old .CHT files cause problems for newer versions, I'll keep that in mind.

I think there might be more problems on hand though, so I'll keep this topic updated with new info.

The same file/versions and SNES9X seem to work fine on my El Capitan.
Delsait
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Delsait »

The new .CHT files I've created with the latest version isn't working either.

Again EL Capitan works.

I should note, I loaded the older version of SNES9x in the screenshot above, because it wasn't working on the newer version, despite displaying correctly and cheats being enabled(the cheat sections being filled in). While loading the older version, scrambled the display, the codes weren't working with the latest SNES9x to begin with.
Delsait
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Delsait »

A new observation, when the cheats don't load despite being enabled, if I click disable cheats, then re-anble the cheats will activate.

This doesn't happen on other MAC operating systems when using SNES9x.

I'll have to look into the freezing as well.
greenhouse
Snes9x White Belt

Post by greenhouse »

A new observation, when the cheats don't load despite being enabled, if I click disable cheats, then re-anble the cheats will activate.

This doesn't happen on other MAC operating systems when using SNES9x.

I'll have to look into the freezing as well.
I should note, I loaded the older version of SNES9x in the screenshot above, because it wasn't working on the newer version, despite displaying correctly and cheats being enabled(the cheat sections being filled in). While loading the older version, scrambled the display, the codes weren't working with the latest SNES9x to begin with.