A few questions about settings, one about input lag

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
MrEntity
Snes9x White Belt

A few questions about settings, one about input lag

Post by MrEntity »

Hello,

I'm mostly just wondering if there is some kind of manual or description of the various settings in SNES9x. Specifically 1.58 at the moment, and more specifically the graphics. I really don't want to slowly walk through all the filtering settings, for example.

Failing that, is there a generally accepted set of settings to make it look as accurate as possible? I noticed the other day when I was racing the Link to the Past/Super Metroid randomizer against my friend that Higan seemed to have more accurate colours out of the box. The reason I had to use Higan leads me to another question, but I'll make that a different topic.

Finally, in that same race I noticed huge issues in controlling Samus in Super Metroid. I could barely shinespark on SNES9X, but when I tried on my friend's Higan emulation, it was way easier; the input lag was much less noticeable. (Both emulators were running simultaneously on 1 computer, but it was noticeable even trying on one emulator at a time.) Is there any particular way to reduce input lag beyond full-screening things and having the monitor on "Game Mode"?

Thanks.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: A few questions about settings, one about input lag

Post by BearOso »

Higan doesn’t use vsync, so that’s your input lag. You can turn it off in Snes9x, but it’s the default to avoid tearing.

Higan darkens colors by default because it assumes you’re using a crappy TN LCD. Snes9x outputs it as-is.

Visual accuracy is subjective. If you want the sharpest possible, use maintain-aspect ratio in 4:3 ratio with the sharp-bilinear shader from the libretro repository.