Game Save Problems...

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Leafs4Ever
Snes9x White Belt

Game Save Problems...

Post by Leafs4Ever »

This applies to Windows 10 and whether I save the game to the in-game save function or the snes9x save function...

Both accept the save; however, when I log off and later come back to play it is like the game has been reset to an earlier point. I am using the cheat function also.

However, in the past I never had a problem with this.. So suggestions on how to get this working or corrected would be appreciated..

PS I am 70 years old so please don't tech me to death as I don't understand it....

Thank you
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: Game Save Problems...

Post by BearOso »

Snes9x’s save states also save and restore the in-game battery saves. That means when you load a save state with Snes9x, it’s going to set the in-game saves to the ones the game was keeping track of at the time you made the save state.

It’s best not to mix the two types unless you’re careful.
Leafs4Ever
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Leafs4Ever »

This is odd because in previous versions of snes9x there never was a problem with using either save state or the in game save function. At least when I was using it...

So your point is to use the Chrono Trigger in game save function only and things should settle down and open where I actually saved previously?

The one thing I didn't mention is that I had got to the future land and saved (in game). Went to bed and when I woke up in the morning and started the game I was back at the beginning of 1000 AD. I lost all the progress that had gone on before...

Thanks for you reply...

GO LEAFS GO....
JustJeff88
Snes9x White Belt

Post by JustJeff88 »

I just came to post about this very thing which just happened to me. I had put several dozen hours into a playthrough of DQ3 for the SFC, and I can no longer load my adventure logs in the traditional way; the game always says that they are lost. Save states work fine and this wouldn't be a big deal, but as far as I know it's impossible to access the post-game content without loading the game from an adventure log, so I've abandoned the playthrough. There is a state file with the .oops extension in my save directory that I can load and save on, but it's from so long ago that it's not worth using.

This is not an inevitability and it's the first time that I have had this problem. I did the same thing with the fan-translated versions of DQ1 and 2 for the SFC with no issues and other games as well, just on other emulators. Having never seen before, I wasn't prepared for it.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

this can happen if the save directory is unwritable by snes9x; this is more likely to happen if you put snes9x in Program Files. note that just because *you* have write access to a location, that doesn't mean that all programs do.

try defining a save location that will definitely be writable by all (e.g. create the directory c:\emulators\snes\save and set it as the save path under Emulation->Settings) and see if that solves your problem going forward.
JustJeff88
Snes9x White Belt

Post by JustJeff88 »

odditude wrote:this can happen if the save directory is unwritable by snes9x; this is more likely to happen if you put snes9x in Program Files. note that just because *you* have write access to a location, that doesn't mean that all programs do.

try defining a save location that will definitely be writable by all (e.g. create the directory c:\emulators\snes\save and set it as the save path under Emulation->Settings) and see if that solves your problem going forward.
I already tried this. I went so far as to download a new copy of the emulator and I put my most recent saved state in the new emulator's save directory. I loaded it with no problems, went to a king and saved in the traditional manor. Note that, when I went to save, it still showed that I had some saved adventure logs already due to me using a saved state. I restarted and reloaded and I immediately got three "adventure log vanished" messages in a row followed by an invitation to start over.

Keep in mind that I had used the same save directory from the start and only started having problems partway through. There was also a .oops state file from when my hero was level 27 that I would load and make traditional saves from, but given all of my characters were at least level 44 when I realised that I could no longer access the post-game I lost too much effort. My layman's assumption is that, at some point, there was a very subtle glitch that created a sort of error file. Had I used the .oops file then, I might have salvaged it, but it's too late now. I've played quite a few games, including DQI and II for the SFC, where I combined saved states and .srm saves. I've never had this problem before, so I wasn't prepared for the possibility and I didn't do anything to avoid it. It's hard to prepare for a problem that one has never heard of.