SNES9X Games and Saves

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
GameGuy
Snes9x White Belt

SNES9X Games and Saves

Post by GameGuy »

Hello one and all!

So I joined this forum because I have a very important question. I'm running Windows 10 and had Snes9x installed on a previous PC. I had the hard drive backed up and transferred to a new computer (also on Win 10). However, for whatever reason, my Roms won't open saying "Invalid zip Archive."

I tried downloading the Roms again and kept my saves, but when I did, the Roms did not load the saved data and instead all new games.

I love playing and have made lots of progress in my games including getting halfway through the sason on NBA Live '96. I DO NOT WISH TO PLAY ANYTHING OVER AGAIN.

Thanks to everyone for their support I am LOSING it.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: SNES9X Games and Saves

Post by odditude »

First, make sure your old save files are where snes9x expects them to be. Check the save path listed in snes9x under Emulation -> Settings.

Second, make sure your filenames match (e.g. if you're playing game.smc, the battery save file must be named game.srm).
GameGuy
Snes9x White Belt

Post by GameGuy »

odditude wrote:First, make sure your old save files are where snes9x expects them to be. Check the save path listed in snes9x under Emulation -> Settings.

Second, make sure your filenames match (e.g. if you're playing game.smc, the battery save file must be named game.srm).
So are you saying that if my save is called "NBA Live '96 (USA)," the corresponding game must also be called "NBA Live '96?"
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

GameGuy wrote:So are you saying that if my save is called "NBA Live '96 (USA)," the corresponding game must also be called "NBA Live '96?"
If the save is "NBA Live '96 (USA)" then the game must also be "NBA Live '96 (USA)" - keep in mind this is likely based on the ROM filename, not any ZIP container.
GameGuy
Snes9x White Belt

Post by GameGuy »

OK,so I manged to get nearly all my games to work EXCEPT that is, for Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World. That game still displays "Invaild Zip Archive," when I try to play it, and from what I've seen all the files have appropriate names (e.g. SRM file has a .srm at the end).

Please help and sorry for not posting for a while.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

for all the hassle, you're better off just unzipping that rom file.
GameGuy
Snes9x White Belt

Post by GameGuy »

odditude wrote:for all the hassle, you're better off just unzipping that rom file.
The actual game itself, or one its save folders?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

quite frankly, i was unaware that snes9x could use zipped sram; i was talking about the ROM image itself. if the sram is zipped, i would extract that as well.

regardless, there's little practical reason to have everything zipped; this isn't 20 years ago where the amount of space taken by ROM images was actually significant. just unzip it and be done with it.